• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny damage or?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Most major displacements like this are just damage, but this one caught my eye.  The toning on the area of interest matches the rest of the coin and there is a repeating pattern of vertical lines.  The spacing of these lines is very close to the reed spacing on a quarter, for what it's worth.  Any thoughts on whether it's possible it came from the mint this way?

WIN_20241020_14_01_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20241020_14_02_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20241020_15_08_50_Pro.jpg

WIN_20241020_15_09_00_Pro.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Sorry, but your 1982-D large date cent was damaged, possibly by a pair of pliers that squeezed the area adjacent to the rim from both sides. The "repeating pair of vertical lines on both sides is consistent with a grooved side of such a tool.

Edited by Sandon

Looks like damage, the fact it's toned like the rest of the coin means it happened soon after it was minted.

On 10/20/2024 at 3:51 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Sorry, but your 1982-D large date cent was damaged, possibly by a pair of pliers that squeezed the area adjacent to the rim from both sides. The "repeating pair of vertical lines on both sides is consistent with a grooved side of such a tool.

The lines are only on the reverse side, there is oddly no similar markings on the obverse.

It is difficult to see in these photos, but the tops of the grooves are rounded, not squared, and they do not go all the way through the circumference.  They look more like machinery marks than tool marks.

It doesn’t really matter how it happened and you may never know. The only thing that matters is that it happened after the coin was struck so that makes it PMD. ( Post Minting Damage)

On 10/20/2024 at 4:27 PM, l.cutler said:

The fact that the damage is pushed out beyond the circumference of the coin proves that it happened after striking, coins are struck in closed collars which would not allow it to push outward.

This

On 10/20/2024 at 4:46 PM, J P M said:

Welcome, this cent looks like it got pinched in something. Just damage. Not an error

🐓  :  I tell ya Q, after ol' J P of the House of Morgan single-handedly proclaimed your Statute of Limitations void with a unilateral Act of Nullification not subject to review, you've had that look of a neutered mutt that's good for nothing now.  Look at all the band-width lost on beating these dead horses over and over again.

Q.A.:  It's okay, his heart, and the hearts of others I cannot lawfully identify by name, have always been in the right place. I mean, c'mon now, 42 years after the fact?  Was a police report filed? Where was FPS (Federal Protective Services) on this?  They've got over fourteen hundred employees and a billion-plus dollar budget! Their motto is "secure facilties, safe occupants."  Am I to believe no one could protect a lowly copper cent from a pair of predatory pliers inside a USG facility?  Who's zoomin' who here?

Oh, and before I forget, a note to the irrepressible @Sandon... Guns do not kill people; people kill people. Likewise tools don't just get up one day and decide to go around squeezing areas of, ahem, interest of their own volition.  :roflmao:

And @Greenstang... have we really been helpful to the OP here? You yourself state conclusively it did NOT happen at the Mint and based on that assertion, made without substantiation, it's of no concern whether there was a pair of rogue pliers out there inflicting grievous harm on cents that apparently did not have enough sense to protect themselves!  Really?  Welcome to the Chat Board where a little frivolity now and again never hurt nobody. (Poor English used for effect.)

🐓  :  It's okay, Mr. Webs. By law, I may not pull the legs of Newbies.  That's what that "waving hand" by your name at the head of the post means. I appreciate your inquisitiveness and believe your presence here will be an asset, a shot in the arm and a breath of fresh air.

Vamoose vaqueros!  Good nite to all and to all a good nite!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The "reeded" pattern on the reverse is most likely from a pair of Channel lock pliers. The fact that the same pattern is not repeated on the obverse tells me someone most likely put something between the coin and the pliers on the obverse side and it could have been another coin in an attempt to simulate a vise job just not using a bench vise but instead using hand pliers. Either way, there is not much to discuss as this is just now a damaged cent.