• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel error
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I've been collecting coins for a few years but I know there are way more knowledgeable people than I. I found this 1994 nickel that caught my eye just because it didn't look beat up and I have always liked them. I know they make so many dinosaurs will be roaming the earth again before they are valuable. This one has an interesting looking line from the front of Jefferson's face and then again out the back of his head. I'm pretty sure it's not damage caused by use. I remember an error on the Sacagawea dollar, the eagle being speared or something so I thought it might be an error. Anyway any knowledge is appreciated. Is it something I should hang on to tightly and protect it for future value or is it something that people don't really care about and it'll never be collectible? Thanks for taking time to read this and pass on advice. Hopefully I can figure out how to add the pictures now!

mir_20241017_180923.jpg

mir_20241017_180945.jpg

mir_20241017_181022.jpg

Yes that is a good looking die crack it is called a double spike. I have one but it is not as nice as that. It is not worth a premium, but it is a fun find.  

Double Spike.jpg

Edited by J P M

Welcome to the forum

First, a die crack is not an error. Although some people may collect die cracks, there is not much    
value in them as there would be many out there with the same crack plus die cracks are fairly common.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Sacagawea dollar with the Speared Eagle is a die gouge that was made accidentally by a mint employee doing routine die maintenance but it is not considered as a mint error. Rather, it is considered a variety.

While this is not an error it is a nice die crack and your coin is in nice condition. Die cracks are not considered as errors but rather as a die state (typically late stage when the dies have been well overused to the point of failure). While it might not have much premium attached, there are people who would collect this coin because of the condition on it. I think it is pretty neat! Definitely worth keeping and if you do decide to sell it, don't expect to make a bunch off of it, but I also don't think you would have any problem selling it either. It would probably sell better at auction where maybe you get lucky and have two bidders fighting over it.

Thanks for sharing it here! I like it!  (thumbsu

ERROR!  :whatthe:

The formal term for this injury, as depicted here, is colloquially known as a "through-and-through" in NYPD police parlance.

The cause of death is officially listed as homicide.  Regardless of the legal implications, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner makes the finding and reports it.  A court of law can always contest the finding as can the aggrieved party, but only a court can order a review and revise the finding.

Just as it has been decreed man may no longer live to be 960 years old as reported in the Scriptures, a Flood is out of the question although an inundation of such proportions would be possible as a result of a tsunami caused by the strike of an asteroid in deep ocean water.

On the matter of dinosaurs, I am more than willing to accept an assertion by a scientific authority well-versed in such matters that such constitute an invasive species.  The likelihood that dinosaurs would return is remote as the matter falls directly under the good offices of @RWB .  Experience suggests it is best not to run afoul of him.  

The tragedy of the '94 nickel, and countless other products that have since been mass-produced does not bear worth repeating.  It is here but shall soon be gone after the seemingly invulnerable "Perpetual Penny Paradox" is solved. While nickels may sense, cents do not.  As of post time there is only one collector of note presiding over oddities such as yours. He has aristocratic tastes. He collects Proof Die Cracks.   :roflmao:

(Posted solely at the direction and discretion of Moderation which may modify of remove the off-topic matter for cause, or no reason at all, as it sees fit.)

On 10/19/2024 at 9:02 AM, Henri Charriere said:

The likelihood that dinosaurs would return is remote as the matter falls directly under the good offices of @RWB 

I dissent. We dinosaurs return several times per year at a whole host of major coin shows. Have ye not seen Charmy Harker’s show photos?

On 10/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, VKurtB said:

I dissent. We dinosaurs return several times per year at a whole host of major coin shows. Have ye not seen Charmy Harker’s show photos?

Not to worry.  If James Brown was the "hardest working man in show business, our Charmy Harker, to her credit, is the hardest working woman in the coin show circuit.  We'll grant her an expedited variance and see to it every courtesy is extended to her, posthaste.  I believe all who have followed her travails regard her as one would a cultural institution.  (thumbsu