• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953d Quarter [NGC: FS-501] - [Coneca: 1953d RPM-001 (D/inverted D)]
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I came across this coin and am trying to get more detailed information.   I was checking on Variety Plus and one of the photos for a 1953d (gw) variety showed a filled “d” mint mark.  I then checked Wexler and did not find a listing for a 1953d (d/invert d).  I also checked Variety Vista.  Although it was listed, it had no die marker info.  I checked on a few other leads as well, but was unsuccessful.  Yes, I realize that a filled MM is common, but I prefer to be certain.  I would like info on potential die markers for this variety.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 

scan0001.jpg

You are going to have a real hard time with this one. Unless there is a die marker such as a die gouge that is prominent enough to still be seen with the level of wear present on this quarter, then you would be in luck. I think your quarter is too worn to be able to identify such a particular variety. It happens. Some coins that could be a variety with premium can have that premium lost due to heavy circulation wear because nobody ever took a look for the variety and it gets lost due to wear.

It is possible that there are no die markers for this variety you are looking for. Some varieties listed especially for OMM's may only have the mintmark as the particular characteristic without the die having had any outstanding feature that could be used as a die marker. If that is the case with this as I suspect it might be, then you may be out of luck trying to attribute it with the coin having this level of wear.

On 10/17/2024 at 9:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

...then you may be out of luck trying to attribute it with the coin having this level of wear.

Thanks, you basically confirmed what I knew but didn't want to hear.  If anyone knows of any books or resources that might elaborate on variety die markers, please advise!