• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here - be kind
1 1

11 posts in this topic

It was on my work desk for three years and I googled it after someone was complaining about all the different quarters now. Being old, I said the bicentennial was the original special one and showed off mine.  Then I googled its value, went down a rabbit hole of filled D versions and I think this is one. This is what I accidentally found out; it may be an error coin. Any thoughts?  
Thanks in advance for being kind. Also, I have done zero cleaning as I don't want to ruin anything by being stupid, so there is that...
-air

IMG_6188.jpg

IMG_6187.jpg

Not an error, lots of misinformation about errors out on the web.  The filled mint mark is called a broken post.  Quality was not job 1 at the mint in the 60's and 70's so it's almost more common to find a filled mint mark than not.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/16/2024 at 2:09 PM, Coinbuf said:

Not an error, lots of misinformation about errors out on the web.

Thanks, - Is the little D not filled in or is that not a D? Most I have found show a small indent on the d, but to me this just looks like a solid misshapen dot.  

Edited by airCornell

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

A completely or partially filled "D" mintmark is extremely common on coins of this era, including 1976-D Bicentennial quarters (over 860 million minted and much hoarded), and a coin like yours is considered a normal variant and has no collector value because of a filled mintmark. Unfortunately, hucksters on the internet have been promoting these common pieces as some sort of rarity to defraud those without knowledge. A "Google" search isn't a good way to find accurate information about coins!

Please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you're interested in learning about U.S. coins, please refer to the following forum topics for legitimate print and online resources:

The broken post in the D is not worth a premium.  The coin is in damaged condition, and the 1976 quarter is one of the most common coins of all time (minted for 2 solid years).

This coin is worth face value, and I do not see this changing over my lifetime.

On 10/16/2024 at 3:52 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

A completely or partially filled "D" mintmark is extremely common on coins of this era, including 1976-D Bicentennial quarters (over 860 million minted and much hoarded), and a coin like yours is considered a normal variant and has no collector value because of a filled mintmark. Unfortunately, hucksters on the internet have been promoting these common pieces as some sort of rarity to defraud those without knowledge. A "Google" search isn't a good way to find accurate information about coins!

Please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you're interested in learning about U.S. coins, please refer to the following forum topics for legitimate print and online resources:

So are you saying I should cancel my retirement plans and still show up to work tomorrow?

On 10/16/2024 at 11:16 AM, airCornell said:

Thanks, - Is the little D not filled in or is that not a D? Most I have found show a small indent on the d, but to me this just looks like a solid misshapen dot.  

Yes the mintmark (D for the Denver mint) is filled in, very common, nothing to quit your day job for.

On 10/16/2024 at 4:05 PM, airCornell said:

So are you saying I should cancel my retirement plans and still show up to work tomorrow?

Yes. You will need to go to work.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The mintmark of your quarter was produced by a broken post, a tiny post of metal on the die to make the center of the D hollow. The mint overused their dies very excessively by the time your coin was produced and still do to this day. ANY filled mintmarks on coins and even some older US coinage with filled date numerals are considered as poor quality control, not mint errors. Even if your quarter did have an error on it, you would not be retiring off the said sale of such a coin. Scammers have inundated sites like eBay with these non error coins asking ridiculous premiums for coins worth face value.

The other thing to note on your quarter is the multiple areas of damage from a coin roll wrapping machine. There is one inner circular area of damage on the cheek of George, and then there is a wider circular area near the rim of damage. Both of these areas of damage were produced by a coin roll wrapping machine. The reverse also has areas of environmental damage. This damage would also negate any potential value this quarter would have had even if it were a mint error. Error collectors only pay premium for error coins in excellent condition.

Google, and the internet in general is a TERRIBLE place to look for coin information unless you know which sources are actually legitimate. There is 4 to 10 times the amount of bad or misinformation on the internet about coins than there is actual good information.

Edited by powermad5000

There is presently on the internet one rare (what else?) Bicentennial Quarter valued at $80,000,000.  The others are presumably common and worth only thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. Welcome to the wild, wonderful world of numismatics!

On 10/20/2024 at 10:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

There is presently on the internet one rare (what else?) Bicentennial Quarter valued at $80,000,000.  The others are presumably common and worth only thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. Welcome to the wild, wonderful world of numismatics!

Where misinformation is probably more common than in politics.