• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 p nickel Improper Alloy mix
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have never heard anyone call anything but a cent a 'woody'.

When there is an improper alloy mix in brass or bronze it can be seen long before it tarnishes (the correct word for toning). 

I will argue that the wood grain toning is caused by something other than a bad mix as no one has reported the evidence of the effect before the metal tarnishes. I think it is caused by something in the processing once the metal leaves the crucible. I do not have enough knowledge of the processing to claim any one cause and I would not be surprised if it is something that happens long after it leaves the mint.

A “Woodie” only refers to a cent as the improperly mixed alloy makes it look like a wood grain.      
Not sure what caused yours but it is worn and damaged so it couldn’t command too much of a premium.

Drying stains on strips and planchets. Worthless. Nothing to do with the alloy. Just as with cents, alloy discontinuity is on a different scale than seen on coins.

Edited by RWB

On 10/16/2024 at 10:14 PM, Malamute said:

This is an extremely rare 'In God we Trust' rim error nickel which according to eBay is worth $10,000! :roflmao:Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

Ah, you think you jest.    .lol......... But in truth there is a new die error category just for rim errors that we have all seen for years and years. I have thrown many of these to the wind in my lifetime. This coin however is just a damaged rim.

BAR Listings (varietyvista.com)

Edited by J P M