• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent purchase seems to be a coin graded and slabbed by NGC
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Does this look to be the same coin...removed from its holder?  I recently purchased it and the seller says its a common error, and he didn't know of the coin ever being graded.

20241011_165502.jpg

20241011_165421.jpg

Screenshot_20241008_171126_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20241008_171218_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20241008_171238_Chrome.jpg

This relatively common mint error is caused by a piece breaking off of the die and is referred to as a "cud". Sometimes a number of pieces with this defect are struck before mint employees discover the broken die and replace it, as apparently occurred here. Sometimes the break enlarges as more coins are struck. See https://www.error-ref.com/cuds/.

I definitely know about cud progression, as I own another one from earlier in the break.  I've just not seen one not chip off more each strike.  Have you seen another instance of a die in the process of structural failure, maintain it's integrity to strike two identical coins?

20241011_172419.jpg

Edited by Myndseye1

On 10/17/2024 at 4:10 AM, Myndseye1 said:

I definitely know about cud progression, as I own another one from earlier in the break.  I've just not seen one not chip off more each strike.  Have you seen another instance of a die in the process of structural failure, maintain it's integrity to strike two identical coins?

I personally do not collect or care about things like cuds or die breaks so I have never spent time looking for coins with identical defects.   However, logically given the speed at which the mint presses operate at there should be multiple examples of any die break throughout its progression.   While I doubt your coin is the one you show in the NGC holder as I see a nick on the chin not present in the auction photos, it is not impossible that someone broke it out and for whatever reason placed it into circulation where it received the damage to the chin, it just seems very unlikely.

Edited by Coinbuf

It would be a rare thing to have 2 almost identical cud coins struck from the same damaged die in separate holders. The actual numerical odds you would find the "brothers and sisters" of this coin die failure is astronomical. Id have it slabbed then find the other slabbed one and buy it.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/17/2024 at 6:10 AM, Myndseye1 said:

It all depends on how the die actually broke and the remaining integrity of the die while it is missing a piece. It is entirely possible for the die to lose one piece and nothing else. Being the press is at the speed it was at that time, I could see several successive coins having the same exact look being produced without a change in the state of the die further breaking down. I am sure if you were to closely inspect each, there might be a slight difference in the metal flow from planchet to planchet but the overall look can look the same on several successive examples. Not all dies that break are going to lose another piece of the die on each successive strike.

On 10/17/2024 at 6:45 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

On second thought this is probably just a French version of a Roosevelt Dime complete with beret.

I hear he wore a raspberry beret,

the kind you’d find in a second-hand store.

On 10/17/2024 at 6:45 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

On second thought this is probably just a French version of a Roosevelt Dime complete with beret.

Now I've heard everything....from Prince headgear fame, to, he's wearing the Pope's hat...😂 

Edited by Myndseye1

I'll definitely try to find the one in the holder.  But it seems that just out of the blue tracking down a coin is a very tough task.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it?

On 10/18/2024 at 5:46 AM, Myndseye1 said:

I'll definitely try to find the one in the holder.  But it seems that just out of the blue tracking down a coin is a very tough task.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it?

POST a request with the cert # in the NGC chat. Someone has the coin. Someone could help you if they get a clue...usually if its in the registry the owner can be contacted by finding the coin in the image gallery and messaging the owner.