• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of error is this and could you guys plz help me find the the aprox value
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I've looked at a lot of coins and have never seen anythingike this before where it says liberty looks like hash marks as well as the date and on top of back let's are weird

20241011_230650.jpg

20241011_230645.jpg

20241011_230635.jpg

20241011_230549.jpg

On 10/11/2024 at 9:14 PM, JOSHE785 said:

I've looked at a lot of coins and have never seen anythingike this before where it says liberty looks like hash marks as well as the date and on top of back let's are weird

20241011_230650.jpg

20241011_230645.jpg

20241011_230635.jpg

20241011_230549.jpg

Acid damaged, not an error and only worth a few cents for the copper value.  The other thing that can cause this is from being in a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner.   But that is also just damage. 

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/12/2024 at 3:22 AM, l.cutler said:

Another possibility is cleaning with a wire wheel. 

Fred W. (can't spell his name), has said in the past that this look is from a wire wheel. The heat and the wheel move the metal. I believe he is correct but I have not tried to duplicate it. 

On 10/11/2024 at 11:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

The other thing that can cause this is from being in a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner.

I have to disagree on this point. I have an ultrasonic cleaner. It does not have the capability to move metal and will not remove metal from a coin. The most that it does is make the water in it hot if put through repeated cycles. That said, I only use water in it. If you put chemicals or acid in it, I guess you could make some weird stuff happen with it but you will also end up ruining the cleaner.

I do agree with you that acid was used on this coin. If you look, its shape seems to be slightly out of round. Even a coin that is whizzed is not going to change shape like that. Only acid would distort the shape like that.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:14 PM, JOSHE785 said:

I've looked at a lot of coins and have never seen anythingike this before

Just because a coin looks different does not automatically mean it is an error coin. This coin is damaged and worth face value. As it seems you have been misled by misinformation, please read the following article by renown numismatist Jeff Garrett before you assume that a coin that looks different is an error and has potential value.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

On 10/12/2024 at 9:51 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You want us to tell you it's worth $125,000 and lie to you ?  xD

It’s what they ALL want. All the poor fools who saw YouTube videos first.

On 10/12/2024 at 6:17 AM, powermad5000 said:

I have to disagree on this point. I have an ultrasonic cleaner. It does not have the capability to move metal and will not remove metal from a coin. The most that it does is make the water in it hot.

True home use cleaners generally don't.   But the large commercial units that jewelry stores use can, I've seen it first hand.

On 10/12/2024 at 10:43 AM, Coinbuf said:

But the large commercial units that jewelry stores use can, I've seen it first hand.

Interesting. I can say I have never seen one of these larger units let alone see it in operation. I wonder why they would make it so it could get so aggressive to the metal. ??

On 10/13/2024 at 2:39 PM, powermad5000 said:

Interesting. I can say I have never seen one of these larger units let alone see it in operation. I wonder why they would make it so it could get so aggressive to the metal. ??

They are not asked to face copper typically.