• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Half Dollar
1 1

19 posts in this topic

This is the strongest reverse I've seen  on a coin. I bought it at a yard sale for $0.50. I know it's circulated, but it's my first time buying a coin. Did I get a good deal?

Picture_20241011065026.jpg

Picture_20241011065009.jpg

Edited by NewEra
Pictures upload failed

On 10/11/2024 at 7:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello!  :hi:

Not really today.

I appologize for the incomplete post..I had trouble uploading the photos.

On 10/11/2024 at 10:05 PM, NewEra said:

This is the strongest reverse I've seen  on a coin. I bought it at a yard sale for $0.50. I know it's circulated, but it's my first time buying a coin. Did I get a good deal?

Picture_20241011065026.jpg

Picture_20241011065009.jpg

You got your money's worth for sure. It is worth close to $5 melt value.U.S. Silver Coin Melt Values | Silver Dollar Melt Value | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Edited by J P M

On 10/12/2024 at 8:35 AM, VKurtB said:

The lighting is iffy, but it looks like a nice album coin.

Thank you. Should I put it in an album?

The coin is lightly circulated and only worth its silver value--1965 through 1970 dated half dollars are silver clad, with 40% net silver content--but you can certainly place it in an album if that is what you want to do. It certainly was a good deal at face value!

On 10/12/2024 at 10:51 AM, Sandon said:

The coin is lightly circulated and only worth its silver value--1965 through 1970 dated half dollars are silver clad, with 40% net silver content--but you can certainly place it in an album if that is what you want. It certainly was a good deal at face value!

Was this transition due to the hoarding of silver or war efforts? What composition was used after 1970? 

As "Tommy" (Joe Pesci) opined to Parnell "STACKS" Edwards in the cinematic epic, GOODFELLAS (the guy who was supposed to get rid of the van after the Lufhansa heist, but didn't... "You'd be late to your own funeral!"

Back on Track:  You tryin' to tell me JFK, eight of whose great-grandparents were born in Ireland -- a Son of the saint of st. mochudu, isn't the real mcgillicutty, and his 90% silver half, reduced to 40% is worth only 50-cents?  You kiddin' me?   :makepoint:

Everywhere I've looked, I 've seen $10.30!

Someone's steerin' me wrong and and I don't quite know why!   :sumo:

I trust @Sandon !  Please say it ain't so!!!

I remain,

Your humble & obedient servant,

Quintus Arrius + Ricky🐓 

Edited by Henri Charriere
Point/Cointerpoint (opposing viewpoint)

On 10/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, NewEra said:

Was this transition due to the hoarding of silver or war efforts? What composition was used after 1970? 

Half dollars dated after 1970, like dimes and quarter dollars dated after 1964, are composed of outer layers of copper nickel (75% copper, 25% nickel) bonded to an inner core of pure copper. When the price of silver exceeded $1.29 per troy ounce in the early 1960s, the 90% silver coins then in circulation became worth more than face value and, of course, were hoarded as well as costing more than face value to make. The government attempted to keep some silver in the coinage by keeping a reduced amount of silver in half dollars, but the silver price continued to increase so that by 1970 the metal in the silver clad half dollars also exceeded face value. The pieces dated 1970 were only included in collectors' sets, but the pieces dated from 1965 through 1969 had very high mintages (over 295 million for the 1967 alone) and are quite common.

The "Red Book" to which I recall we referred you in a previous topic has a wealth of information regarding topics like these.

On 10/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

Not really today.

Alright.  Now that you've had ample opportunity to evaluate the coin, I implore the Court to direct defense counsel to suggest his client answer the question, to the best of his ability.  🤣

On 10/12/2024 at 8:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Alright.  Now that you've had ample opportunity to evaluate the coin, I implore the Court to direct defense counsel to suggest his client answer the question, to the best of his ability.  🤣

I’ll tell you why I said what I said. The lighting is the type of lighting (I believe it looks like a largish array of LED’s) that will often hide the marks and scratches that could lower the grade. That said, there is an absence of large gouges on both sides. Now, however, like MANY Kennedy halves of the 40% era (1965-1970, even those from uncirculated sets) the reverse’s eagle head is poorly defined. The marks on the eagle’s head and neck area are signs of a weak strike; that area never was struck up fully.

The area of the eagle’s head and neck is on the other side of the obverse’s highest point, Kennedy’s cheek/ jaw in front of the ear. Two high points directly across from each other yields not fully struck up details. Show me a fully struck up eagle head on a circulation strike (not a SMS coin), and I’ll show you an unusual piece.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/11/2024 at 10:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

Not really today.

Ditto... maybe you can brighten it up some.  :roflmao:

On 10/12/2024 at 6:19 PM, Sandon said:

When the price of silver exceeded $1.29 per troy ounce in the early 1960s, the 90% silver coins then in circulation became worth more than face value

Minor correction:

The silver content of the standard silver dollar, as established by Congress in 1792, is 371.25 grains or 0.7734 of a Troy ounce of pure silver and is thus equal to its face value when the price of silver is $1.2929 per ounce. The value of the silver content of dimes and quarters ("subsidiary silver") is the same as their face value at $1.3838 per ounce.

Thus, at silver prices above $1.2929 a standard silver dollar contains more than $1 in silver. Dimes, quarters and halves have less silver in them and their metal content does not exceed face value until silver's market price is above $1.3838 per Troy ounce.

Edited by RWB

On 10/12/2024 at 8:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I opened this to an empty post that said hello with the hope that we in the forum were doing well. I was sick that day so that was my response. I just came off a twelve hour midnight shift and am still sleep groggy, but here I am.

The OP's coin while lightly circulated still seems to have original surfaces and was an excellent deal at the sale price. It is an excellent album coin and is a good start for the OP.

I would venture to say we all remember the first coin we bought and I would also venture to say not all of us came out on the plus end of that first deal.

To the OP and my many learned colleages... anyway you slice the cake -- even if the coin were in a deplorable state of preservation, you can't beat that with a baseball bat.  No extended dissertation necessary.  We are talking rock-bottom FACE VALUE for a 1967 coin that our @VKurtB -- when he is in an a most agreeable mood -- fondly recalls as the Summer of Love in San Francisco.  :roflmao:

Man, I love this place!  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor addition

On 10/13/2024 at 3:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

To the OP and my many learned colleages... anyway you slice the cake -- even if the coin were in a deplorable state of preservation, you can't beat that with a baseball bat.  No extended dissertation necessary.  We are talking rock-bottom FACE VALUE for a 1967 coin that our @VKurtB -- when he is in an a most agreeable mood -- fondly recalls as the Summer of Love in San Francisco.  :roflmao:

Man, I love this place!  🤣

Those hippies can just bite me. I was a fire breathing hawkish conservative at 12 and time has not mellowed me.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/14/2024 at 10:07 AM, VKurtB said:

Those hippies can just bite me. I was a fire breathing hawkish conservative at 12 and time has not mellowed me.

Changing gears here, I should like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your 12,000th post since becoming a member!  I have learned a deal from you as have untold others.  Keep up the good work!