• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Magnifying Instrument Do You Use?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I want something that allows me to easily identify doubled errors and condition to a high degree. I have considered an Eschenbach loupe in 7x or 10x. Tomlov and Elikliv seems to the most popular. If digital is the top choice, do you have to buy the more expensive models to get a better sharper IPS monitor? 

I use the Bosch and Lomb magnifier only for checking some varieties.
If I can’t see an error with my eyes, then I know it is not a major error and not worth the trouble.    
Digital scopes should be banned from using on coins. If you increase the size of a coin enough,   
every little anomoly suddenly becomes an “error”.

easily identify doubled errors

Also a Doubled Die is not an error, they are a variety

Edited by Greenstang

On 10/11/2024 at 10:29 AM, Malamute said:

I want something that allows me to easily identify doubled errors and condition to a high degree. I have considered an Eschenbach loupe in 7x or 10x. Tomlov and Elikliv seems to the most popular. If digital is the top choice, do you have to buy the more expensive models to get a better sharper IPS monitor? 

Never never NEVER get either a Tomlov or an Elikliv. Both are junk. If it has a screen, forget it!

I should be delighted to answer your query but am afraid my answer may tend to incriminate me.  @VKurtB has already chimed in above, and if he spots my reply and finds out I am still using my unlawful and illegal, antique high-powered lens, without his express permission, he will accomplish what the Moderators and @The Neophyte Numismatist have thus far been unable to. 

In my favor, I have for all intents and purposes, ceased and deceased from my formerly active collecting days. You could say I have retired... from work, and my lifelong hobby.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Korea misspelling.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:56 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

My favorite is the Eschenbach 4X + 6X (10X).  This loupe is not cheap ($160-200 depending on where you buy).  But, very nice and clear to the edges of the lens.  Superb clarity.  I use this mostly at home.

I also like the Bosch & Lomb 5X "box"-style magnifier.  These are cheap ($7-15 depending where you buy).  IMO, these are the best bang-for-the-buck magnifiers on the market.  This optics are clear, and if you can test a few at a coin shop... most are clear to the edge.  The lens is extra big, so it's easy to see the whole coin.  I take this to shows... I have bought several, because I lose them or give them away.

My focus is grading coins and looking for varieties.  I do not care about coins with minor doubling that require higher power.  If you are looking to grade coins 5x (10X max) is what you need.  20X is overkill IMO.

Is this what you have? https://www.zoro.com/eschenbach-optik-gmbh-stand-magnifier-50mm-23d-acrylic-1187/i/G1149030/

Mine is an older version, but yes.  This is almost exactly what I have.  Like I said... it's not cheap, but its nice.  The only issue is that it comes open while around my neck on a lanyard, but they all do as they loosen.  I keep a small philips head screwdriver in my bag to keep it tight, because I am a dork like that.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 10/12/2024 at 6:54 AM, ldhair said:

I have used one like this for many years. Best thing I have ever done for my old eyes. They used to cost a little over $100.

eschenbach-open.jpg

These are awesome, REALLY nice. 

On 10/12/2024 at 9:04 AM, VKurtB said:

These are awesome, REALLY nice. 

I like how all of the view thru the lens is in focus, all the way to the edges. I didn't have that with some of the low end ones. 

On 10/12/2024 at 7:54 AM, ldhair said:

I have used one like this for many years. Best thing I have ever done for my old eyes. They used to cost a little over $100.

eschenbach-open.jpg

it is the one i have :)