• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fractional Currency
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Ok while not a specific coin question but throwing it out there for people who may share some knowledge. 

I recently came in possession of two pieces of fractional currency. I know not coins but certified thru the NGC currency grading service. 

One of the graded pieces is a 63 grade 25c fractional 1st issue note. I understand the basics (much the same as coin grades) but my question is on a particular note I now own I'm confused about. 

It's a "Fr. 1282spnmf/b First Issue 25 Cents Fractional Currency Face & Back Narrow Margins Specimen Note Pair PMG Choice Uncirculated 63". This note (or notes) comes as two separate notes front and back as two separate pieces of paper. I can't find anything why front (obverse) and reverse are on separate pieces of paper. Why is what I have like this? I have attached a photo. 

I understand the history of functional notes, but why these are two separate pieces of paper and seemingly connected to each other.

Is this how people had to use them. So to pay with you had to present both notes? Or it it something totally different? 

Thank 

1667560-1.jpg

Proofs, and sometimes specimens, are printed on one side to determine if the plates, color, security features, etc. are acceptable prior to full scale production or, in the case of specimens, to be distributed to banks to assist them in identifying counterfeits. For U.S. fractionals "Shields" were also printed and made available to banks to purchase in order to help in identifying counterfeits. U.S. fractional currency is a popular and widely collected series, I'd be happy to discuss them further over at PMG. 

Below is an image of a U.S. currency shield from the Heritage Auctions archive.

image.thumb.jpeg.373723283dc7839068ae060aaebd01b9.jpeg

EDIT TO ADD:

Is this how people had to use them. So to pay with you had to present both notes? Or it it something totally different? 

Uniface proofs/specimens of the face and back of notes are not indented for circulation, only for inspection and verification purposes. Circulating notes were printed on a single sheet, both sides, just as today's notes are. I believe the first run of fractionals were produced by a single printing firm and that additional print runs were produced by two separate firms, one printing the face of the notes the other the back.

One other interesting note is that I have seen on more than one occasion uniface examples having been adhered together in an attempt to fool individuals. A prime example being the 15¢ Grant/Spinner notes which were never issued for circulation but where included on the fractional "Shields". 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike