• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these man or mint errors!
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals... 

I found this penny in my late father's wheat penny stash and was curious to know more about it. It looks downright terrible but also interesting, is the finish man or mint created? Thanks for any assistance! 

1aa.thumb.jpg.ba18244eb91247e7127d37bd9f957f19.jpg1bb.thumb.jpg.c47cdced5c1fce93afd525441507d44d.jpg

On 10/10/2024 at 6:11 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Welcome to the forum.

The coin is severely damaged, there are no visible errors and even if there were the coin would have little to no premium due to its extremely poor condition. 

Thanks for the information... I like to research these conditions and errors but this one had no results which is why I titled the post man or mint.  I wasn't sure how it got to be so corroded. Thanks for your explanation! 

On 10/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, Malamute said:

So would this be considered wear and tear or mint? Looks like extreme cud errors... but it could also be hard use. 

2aa.thumb.jpg.fff98dfbb2c8c065c0a1db14797ffeef.jpg2bb.thumb.jpg.f872608bc19ea8cbad1d9b8fc20ecb69.jpg

Damage, nothing more.

You may already know of this but below is a link to a description of cuds from a reputable website. Also, please start a new thread for each coin you have questions about. (thumbsu

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=cud

On 10/10/2024 at 10:56 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Damage, nothing more.

You may already know of this but below is a link to a description of cuds from a reputable website. Also, please start a new thread for each coin you have questions about. (thumbsu

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=cud

Thanks for the link, I will bookmark it for future reference! I have lots of cud coins... are cuds collectible and interesting to folks? 

On 10/10/2024 at 8:43 AM, Malamute said:

are cuds collectible and interesting to folks? 

Very few collectors are interested or excited by cuds, and most coins with cuds are of very limited value even if you do actually have any coins with cuds.   I say that because you seem to think the coin you posted above was a coin with cuds which is clearly just a damaged coin, so that seems to suggest that you may not be correctly identifying what a cud is.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, Coinbuf said:

Very few collectors are interested or excited by cuds, and most coins with cuds are of very limited value even if you do actually have any coins with cuds.   I say that because you seem to think the coin you posted above was a coin with cuds which is clearly just a damaged coin, so that seems to suggest that you may not be correctly identifying what a cud is.

I consider this a cud...is it not? 

cudrm2024.thumb.jpg.5d880419a850ec443bdc8c5d54c32ac7.jpg

On 10/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, Malamute said:

consider this a cud...is it not? 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Based on the image of the obverse, the 1988 cent does appear to have a small "cud", which results from a piece breaking from the die. (The reverse often shows weakness of strike in the area opposite the "cud".) The other coins you posted on this topic were mutilated after they left the mint. "Cuds", unless they are very large, generally have little collector value, usually no more than a few dollars.

Please post a new topic for each coin about which you have questions, and please post images of each full side of the coin.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:02 AM, Malamute said:

I consider this a cud...is it not? 

cudrm2024.thumb.jpg.5d880419a850ec443bdc8c5d54c32ac7.jpg

From your photo it appears to be a minor one.

On 10/10/2024 at 2:38 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

....You have a peeny worth...wait for it.....$0.01. :)

To be fair about it, every Lin- coln cent dated 1909 to1959, bearing the wheat stalks, on the reverse, and those dated 1960 to 1982, bearing the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse, are presently worth $0.286407 (or $0.289) (or 29 cents) in copper melt value as of Oct 10, 2024.  Pure Copper is presently (10/10/2024) is $4.42/lb.

At its highest, pure copper was $5.18 on 05/20/2024.

Editorial comment:  The greater the price incurred in producing the so-called "copper" cent for general commerce, the costlier it becomes to produce for the Federal Treasury.

I predict the Perpetuel Penny Paradox, already an intolerable expense, will cease to be a problem sometime in my lifetime ideally prior to the 2032 Presidential election.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think your first Lincoln cent was a parking lot coin that was run over by a car or several cars. The pits look like parking lot coins when the weight of a vehicle pushes the softer metal into the peaks of the asphalt surface which creates pits in the surface of the coin. Your second cent is somewhat crushed or was hammered on from the side. Your third cent you correctly identified as a minor cud. Cuds are common and will not be given a mint error designation unless they are major cuds that involve changing or eliminating some of the design details. The minor cud on your cent I don't think is large enough to get the official error nod. There are some cuds on coins such as the 4 star break on the 1811 half cent that are not used as errors but rather as variety designators.

While cuds are minorly interesting to some, they do not cause a major stir to error collectors and therefore unless they are major cuds altering the design do not have a lot of added premium to the coin. Also, be advised that error collectors that pay premiums for error coins have followed the general trends in the hobby and they are paying high premiums only for error coins in higher conditions. Many lower grade MS or circulated examples in today's market will not gain much premium. Cents such as you 1988 Lincoln Memorial cent typically would be sought out in red color (RD) and higher grade MS such as 65 or above.