• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible strike error, maybe !!
1 1

8 posts in this topic

While going through a handful of coins, I came across this 2010 Lincoln Shield one cent that is about 2X the thickness, with a very defined edge on both sides. Is this normal?

Thanks

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

Possibly an early stage dryer coin, not really anything of value.   
In the future please crop and shoot your photos on a plain background.

Welcome to the forum. Your coin is what is commonly known as a "dryer coin". It was caught up in the bowels of some sort of machine, such as a commercial clothes dryer, which put pressure on the edge of the coin as it was rotating. This forced metal toward the center of the coin while spreading out the edge. This is something that we see very often on this forum. It's an interesting coin, but not a mint error.

Edited by Just Bob

On 10/7/2024 at 8:12 AM, Greenstang said:

Possibly an early stage dryer coin,....

I am sorry but I fail to see how the OP's VERY pregnant, twice the thickness of an ordinary cent, with matching VERY defined edges, can be of the "dryer" persuasion.

Which coin are you looking at?

The "alleged" dryer coin is a thick coin which if anything is a "pre-dryer" coin.  It hasn't gone anywhere!  Certainly not through a dryer!  I thought dryer coins are worn down at the Rims and Edges!

I guess I will always be a Rank Amateur when it comes to examples of Numismystique.  

Anyway, I respectfully dissent.:facepalm:

First and foremost, NEVER HOLD A COIN THAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE OF SOME POTENTIAL VALUE BY YOUR FINGERS IN THIS MANNER!!!!!!!!!!!! You will impart your skin oils to the surface of the coin causing it to develop unattractive toning as well as other possible surface breakdown issues. If you must handle a coin at all, handle it by its edges only!

Secondly, we prefer fully cropped images of the coin in question. We would like to see less of your fingers and more of the coin.

Next, I see on the reverse of this cent where the copper plating was worn off exposing the zinc core underneath. Seeing that and the edge, I am in agreeance that this coin is a dryer coin that did not stay wedged in its location in the machinery long enough to severely damage the coin. This is not a strike error. Keep in mind that just because a coin looks different, does not mean it falls in the error category. Most coins that look different are simply damaged coins. There are only a number of ways for a coin to be an error from the Mint but there are infinite ways for a coin to become damaged after it leaves the Mint.

Please read the following resource regarding misinformation in numismatics as whatever resource that led you to believe this might be an error is likely a source of some of this misinformation.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

On 10/7/2024 at 2:07 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I am sorry but I fail to see how the OP's VERY pregnant, twice the thickness of an ordinary cent, with matching VERY defined edges, can be of the "dryer" persuasion.

Which coin are you looking at?

The "alleged" dryer coin is a thick coin which if anything is a "pre-dryer" coin.  It hasn't gone anywhere!  Certainly not through a dryer!  I thought dryer coins are worn down at the Rims and Edges!

I guess I will always be a Rank Amateur when it comes to examples of Numismystique.  

Anyway, I respectfully dissent.:facepalm:

The coin is not thicker only the rim you see is wider from being rolled under pressure. I am sure the coin is smaller looking around the circumference than a normal cent.