• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acetone rinse on proof
1 1

20 posts in this topic

Will acetone get rid of the blue green gunk, or is it permanent and damaged underneath already? Above the B in liberty and on the rim below the star at 5 o'clock on obverse. Took pics outside with phone, some glare above the eagle.20241005_080939.thumb.jpg.7e4f07bfd65426f9a60ac2144d8fa59b.jpg20241005_080816.thumb.jpg.8d584fa126443542700a6e985d134ac7.jpg

Acetone is one treatment, and as Roger has indicated, its prime use is for organic stuff. Frankly, I don’t know if “vinyl green slime” is organic, but it works on that too. But if those marks are anything else, acetone won’t touch it. The conservation firms use many other chemicals and techniques, but they are kept as deep dark proprietary secrets. 

I bought a gallon of Acetone recently.  The cost: $12.  I have not used it.  Why?  Because the coin I had wanted to use it on looks "Improperly cleaned "  That's one reason.  The other reason is all the warnings on the metal can:

DANGER!  EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE,  VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRES OR IGNITE EXPLOSIVELY, VAPOR HARMFUL EYE IRRETANT.

... KEEP AWAY FROM HEAT, SPARKS, FLAME AND ALL OTHER SOURCES OF IGNOTION.

... USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION TO PREVENT BUILDUP OF VAPORS.

... IF THE WORK AREA IS NOT WELL-VENTILATED, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

... FIRST AID: INHALATION (with directions); EYE EXPOSURE: (with directions); SKIN EXPOSURE:  (with directions); IF SWALLOWED: (with directions)

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.  Product Category: Multi-Purpose Solvent ▪︎  Max VDC: 3%  For Assistance: Call [Klean Strip] Barr HelpLine:  1-800-398-3892;  M-F 8:30 am to 4:30 pm CT.

(Use caution when using!)

🐓 

On 10/5/2024 at 5:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I bought a gallon of Acetone recently.  The cost: $12.  I have not used it.  Why?  Because the coin I had wanted to use it on looks "Improperly cleaned "  That's one reason.  The other reason is all the warnings on the metal can:

DANGER!  EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE,  VAPORS MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRES OR IGNITE EXPLOSIVELY, VAPOR HARMFUL EYE IRRETANT.

... FIRST AID: INHALATION (with directions); EYE EXPOSURE: (with directions); SKIN EXPOSURE:  (with directions); IF SWALLOWED: (with directions)

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.  Product Category: Multi-Purpose Solvent ▪︎  Max VDC: 3%  For Assistance: Call [Klean Strip] Barr HelpLine:  1-800-398-3892;  M-F 8:30 am to 4:30 pm CT.

(Use caution when using!)

🐓 

You can add an olive or cocktail onion, if desired.  ;)

On 10/5/2024 at 2:03 PM, VKurtB said:

Frankly, I don’t know if “vinyl green slime” is organic

Yes PVC residue is a chemical reaction from a petroleum distillate product and is an organic compound. 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/6/2024 at 11:29 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Yes PVC residue is a chemical reaction from a petroleum distillate product and is an organic compound. 

Thanks. I had several hundred coins to de-slime-ify of PVC residue a few years back, and acetone was the tool of choice. Outside. On the porch. Of my old, err, umm, Alabama home.

Edited by VKurtB

Reality check: the 1999 proof SBA is now 25 years old. When I began collecting, in 1963, 25 years ago was 1938. 

On 10/6/2024 at 7:23 AM, RonnieR131 said:

Thanks for all of your opinions, going to buy some Monday and use on others as well. 

Remember to change the acetone between coins, otherwise you risk depositing the gunk from one coin onto the next.

On 10/5/2024 at 4:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.

It is extremely flammable, so don't smoke a cigarette whilst using it to treat surface issues on a coin.

The vapors can ignite explosively so don't use it next to the furnace in the winter.

The vapors can be an eye irritant if your eyes become irritated easily by environmental conditions or because of medical conditions.

Keep away from your lit cigarettes, lit cigars, lighters, propane torches, fireworks, propane BBQ grills, fire pits, welders, hot combustion engines, hot exhaust pipes, and the like. I am not sure why you would be treating a coin while doing some of these things or around some of these things at the same time.

Ventilation and adequate work space is needed so don't treat your coin with it in a confined space, or in a closet with the door closed. Once again, not sure why you would choose these places to treat your coin with it.

As far as exposure, I suppose only a junkie would inhale it to the max, don't splash it around or rub your eyes while treating your coin, wear rubber gloves if your skin gets irritated by it, and for the love of God, don't pour some into one cup to treat your coin and pour yourself another cup to chug while treating your coin.

You don't need to worry about inducing vomiting or not if you are not drinking the stuff or doing shots of it.

The directions combined with some common sense and you can use your acetone. If you don't have any common sense, you should not do anything for yourself in life and be under constant assistance and watch.

The one thing I will say is you may want to return that gallon and buy a quart instead.  Unless you are constantly and consistently treating a ton of coins, a quart will last you years. I only use enough to cover the coin I am treating. Using any more is not going to make it work any better. Also, I don't find a need to treat every coin I obtain with it.

One other tip I have being acetone is a rapidly evaporating solvent, I place my used acetone outside in normal air and it evaporates within a couple hours. While it is miscible with water, it is not advised to dispose of the used portion by pouring it down the drain.

Another note about acetone to assuage your reservations on using your acetone, the chemical is a ketone and the human body produces acetone in it in small amounts, and you exhale several milligrams of acetone in your breath every day. People with diabetes or other medical issues who are diagnosed with ketoacidosis have problems in their body with it producing too much acetone which affects your organs. Since it is in you already, you can use your acetone HC!!!! You can do it!!!!

On 10/6/2024 at 4:44 PM, RWB said:

One other obscure caution, certain to be a joy to both Henri and Lucius' hearts --- do not pour used (or new) acetone onto a compost pile. Fermentation of compost can create enough heat to ignite acetone or spontaneously combust the pile. Then you will have merely a pile of ashes for your garden.

Sounds good to me.

🐓  @powermad5000 says you can do it!  Can he be trusted?

Q.A.:  Of course he can!  His review is sound.  So how does acetone get into one's eyes and mouth?  Simple: by being inattentive. Your eye may itch and you raise a hand with contaminated fingers to rub your eyes with it, absentmindedly. Ditto mouth, clothes, anything you touch. If you are working with it, dedicate yourself to the task at hand. WASH YOUR HANDS!  Sound advice.  Thanks!

Your Acetone requirement is just enough to submerge the coin. Place in Acetone bath wearing Nitrile gloves on one side. Wait 1 min. Wearing Nitrile gloves flip coin gently in bath let cover with Acetone. Wait 1 min. With Nitrile gloves gently remove from bath. Place on dry soft microfiber cloth. Do not pat, dab, wipe, brush, thumb or do anything but let the acetone evaporate. You may as an option gently rinse the coin in the same manner in a bath of distilled water. Again, do not pat, dab, wipe, brush or thumb. Place on microfiber cloth let air dry. You may repeat this process until you see your required results. Change the solution after every 2 min treatment. If it evaporates also rinse bath container with a small amount of distilled water and discard rinse properly before each reuse. Once completely dry properly handle as needed and place directly into a non PVC flip. You may see other issues on the coin after this which were not apparent in its original condition. Cheers! Goodluck!

Edited by Mike Meenderink