• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to coin collecting
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I inherited a coin collection and found this bicentennial quarter.I was wondering if the errors were done when stuck also I’m wondering if it’s worth getting graded??The coin is in great condition.any help would be appreciated. 

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1084.jpeg

IMG_1085.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post cropped, clear images of each full side of this coin that are transmitted directly from your computer, rather than images of your computer screen, which are too pixilated for us to see properly.

Based on what I can see from your current image, this Bicentennial quarter (1976 or 1976-D?) has either a reverse scratch (post-mint damage) or a minor strikethrough of foreign matter on the die, which would add little or no value to this coin, which if circulated is worth face value. The other lettering on which you focused appears quite normal for this issue. Just what about this coin do you think constitutes "errors"?

Unfortunately, your post is indicative of the tremendous amount of misinformation about coins on the internet. Contrary to what you may have read or seen online, it is extremely unusual to find in your pocket change or in accumulations of modern coins (such as those that you inherited, if they are of the vintage of this one) any significant mint error or other coin of sufficient value to be worth submitting to a third-party grading service, which is what I assume you mean by "getting graded".  Please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

As a new collector, it is essential that you learn about U.S. coins and how to collect them from legitimate print and online resources from which you can learn about U.S. coins and how to evaluate and collect them, such as the resources identified in the following forum topics:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I as well would like to see clear, properly cropped photos of the entire side of both sides of this coin. Sans those photos at the time of this response and using what you have provided here which are very pixelated, it appears you have scratches on the reverse that bisected several letters on angles, possibly some very minor strike doubling evidenced on on letter (the top of the A), and I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking at in the motto IN GOD WE TRUST except that the letters seem "fat" which is indicative of circulation wear. 

I also note you seem to be using high mag in these photos, and I try to warn people, especially those without extensive numismatic experience, against the use of high mag when inspecting coins. Grading services typically use 7X to grade coins. Anything beyond 10X-15X is considered as inconsequential. High mag makes tiny circulation scratches look like the Grand Canyon and very small die chips look like mountains. Many of us here use 5X-10X unless our eyes are bad where we may use 15X. Beyond that, higher magnifications may possibly be used to see if a coin is of a very minor variety, but typically if it needs to be seen at a level higher than 15X, it most likely will not be attributed by a grading service so there is not much need for these higher magnification levels.

Being you inherited this coin, and don't seem to be a collector before you inherited this (if I am wrong I apologize), what resource did you use that instructed the things you pointed out on this coin were actually errors? We have seen a high uptick on threads involving Bicentennial Quarters as having purported errors, and I am curious to know as to where this information is coming from.

When you say "get graded", be advised these clad quarters for this year need to grade at a minimum of MS 67 just to cover the costs of grading and at that level is basically a break even with costs. Especially if this is damage, this coin would actually value either near or at face value and professional grading would surely result in a huge loss.