• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this PCI 1904-O Morgen get a details grade if I sent it in?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I do apologize in advance if this is not the right Forum for this question. I was just wondering what y'all thoughts on this PCI graded Morgen are and if it would straight grade? Oh, and please forgive my less than optimal photos.

P1030203.thumb.JPG.8fe74d4463d642e0aaafacf4e0790236.JPGP1030204.thumb.JPG.bf4ef185e4c86cc094c7e0da480b9f4f.JPG

Here are close ups of the Obv. and Rev. hopefully these help 😅

P1030135.thumb.JPG.10453a84431231e7746f0d9bf027ae4b.JPGP1030137.thumb.JPG.69b9fde5cd962eadfbee3a4849520889.JPG

It is a nice coin with no obvious problems. I personally do not care for PCI slabs, so I understand the question. Of course, I’m not in the market for such a coin because I have a nicer 04-O. Getting it regraded by any of the top three firms risks a lower grade. 04-O’s frequently come in PL. 

On 9/22/2024 at 5:18 PM, johnhenry9009 said:

I do apologize in advance if this is not the right Forum for this question. I was just wondering what y'all thoughts on this PCI graded Morgen are and if it would straight grade? Oh, and please forgive my less than optimal photos.

P1030203.thumb.JPG.8fe74d4463d642e0aaafacf4e0790236.JPGP1030204.thumb.JPG.bf4ef185e4c86cc094c7e0da480b9f4f.JPG

By straight grade I'm assuming that you are hoping it will not receive a QC (questionable color) result.   Your coin has a very common look for that generation of PCI holder so while it most likely would straight grade there is always that chance it would not.   Here is one of my Morgan dollars in that same holder with very similar tone.

1896sd-obv.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It would be Morgan dollar (not Morgen). 

Thank you for the excellent close up pics!!! (thumbsu We usually do not get that good of photos on here!

This year and mintmark combination is considered relatively "common" for the series and these tended to be the better struck of the O mintmarks in the series as they maybe made progress in the quality of their strikes by this year. The O's especially early on and up until about 1900 were well known for not having the best or sharpest struck specimens. As noted, for this year and mintmark, there were many produced in PL and DPL and even for those proof like specimens, they can be acquired at those levels without breaking the bank so to speak.

PCI slabs are known to be overgraded and I think this specimen is one of them. I would grade this coin at MS 63 tops because of the "chatter" I see across the face and cheek on the obverse and some of the minor chatter in the fields on the reverse. It is more likely, however, that a TPG would give this a grade of MS 62. The toning is not exactly evenly attractive nor is it unevenly unattractive so the coin itself doesn't have either a great look or a terrible look as far as eye appeal goes.

The only real reason I could see for you to submit this coin is if you are unhappy with the slab it currently resides in. If you are ok with it, I would just leave it as it is now.

As far as it receiving a details grade, it does not appear to be cleaned to me as it still looks like it has some original luster that has not toned. However, even the best photo can not show a light cleaning which could only be looked for with the coin in hand. I don't think it has artificial toning as I had a coin sitting in an ANACS holder that toned more darkly but in the same fashion as this coin and that coin did straight grade with the toning on it.

Edited by powermad5000

The slabs shown above were being used at a good time in PCI history. They were doing a good job of grading at that time. The green label with 10 digit serial numbers pin down the generation. They also used a red label for problem coins. Example shown below. They were really tough on Seated coins.

Insider/Skip was one of the graders at PCI at that time. I had a nice talk with him at the Fun Show back in January. He told me the graders were being told to be tough on grading. I sent about 20 of this generation of holder to PCGS to crack and grade, several months ago. Many came back a point higher and a few were a point lower. I hated to loose the old holders but Great Collections won't auction anything PCI. 

I left Skip with about 12 coins with this type of holder to crack and conserve. He did a great job. He was able to save more of them than I thought possible. I think he had fun working on them. I hope to create a thread with before and after images of them, sometime. 

I still have about a hundred coins in these holders. Tough to sell as is and the grading fees are too much to think about cracking them out. 

22.jpg