• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

30" plus mirror ? What is that ?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have seen coins on eBay claiming that . Here I use a standard inch measurement. 

On a coin how is that even possible ? To me a Morgan is about 1 1/2" across . Also these coins look more beautiful than others . Can someone please explain . Thanks in advance 

On 9/22/2024 at 2:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

I have an exact answer for you to your question. All of these descriptive phrases are for when it comes to coins that are proof like (PL) or deep proof like (DPL or DMPL in the case of the latter being the PCGS term), typically found on Morgan Dollars but can be found on any coin exhibiting a highly reflective surface that resembles the surface of a proof coin but is not an actual proof coin. The term 30" or 36" or monster 60" mirrors are just sellers descriptions used to try to describe the overall reflectivity of the coin presented. What they are trying to say is if you place the coin 30" from a mirror with say a newspaper behind the coin, you should be able to read the newspaper in the mirror in the flat fields of the coins reflection from 30" away.

I myself have several PL coins and while you can read print resources in the reflectivity of the fields of the coin, I don't find this terminology useful nor the fact that you can read print in the coins reflective field useful either. Proof like and deep proof like are descriptive terms and subject to the opinion of the grader. There are some coins that you could read print resources in the fields but that will not get the designation of PL or DPL upon grading. It is hard for me to relate how to tell the difference between a coin that is not PL, a coin that is PL, and a coin that is DPL, all I can say is you have to look at a lot of coins with each characteristic to know. They all look different from each other. My "rule of thumb" when it comes to this is DPL literally looks like a proof coin (but is not a proof), a PL looks reflective like a proof but has less, little, or no frost, and a coin that has a somewhat reflective surface but overall looks like "a really nice coin" will not be PL or DPL.

You can also read the following resource article from NGC that I have posted a link here. Basically though, the term 30" mirrors or monster 60" mirrors are just a sellers descriptive term that they are trying to say the coin is highly reflective.

Learn Grading: Prooflike (PL) and Deep Prooflike (DPL)

Thanks for the explanation . Now I understand.  This chat board has really taught me a lot about coins , especially you powermad . I appreciate you . Thank you for helping me understand things . 

On 9/23/2024 at 11:45 AM, Ohnoimbroke said:

Thanks for the explanation . Now I understand.  This chat board has really taught me a lot about coins , especially you powermad . I appreciate you . Thank you for helping me understand things . 

I thank you for posting the Topic and thank our much esteemed colleague @powermad5000 for providing an answer.  This was all Greek to me!  :roflmao: