• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 P Dime
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Was this coin just poorly struck? Is that why there is no rim? It looks to be in nice condition meaning the reflectiveness doesn’t look very scratched. So was this poorly struck or was this some kind of damage like a washing machine dryer or something like that? Thanks again.HEIFImage.jpeg.b1d00a2385600c35c5ea4a37213c949a.jpegHEIFImage.thumb.jpeg.97ee5266ffaa080d556f03b6a6eb94f7.jpegHEIFImage.thumb.jpeg.4274063e930900ab946b58af0bb484d6.jpegHEIFImage.jpeg.b1d00a2385600c35c5ea4a37213c949a.jpeg

Worn out die with flow lines sometimes they can be very reflective and give a false appearance of a nice coin when it is not.  (Hit the button at the same time Stang) 

Edited by J P M

I still see evidence of the proto rim. It is just worn. There is a level of wear all across both sides of this coin. As well, note the metal flow lines towards the rim on both sides of the coin. This is the first indication it was struck with a very late stage set of dies (worn dies). The coin was struck properly but with worn dies. Combine the die state with some circulation wear and you have what is now in your hand.

Washing machine coins pretty much just come out "too clean" so to speak. Maybe a little scratched but that's about it. A coin in the basin of a washing machine cannot escape the basin so all it will do is get tossed back and forth a little bit. A dryer coin on the other hand can escape the drum while it is getting tossed around inside. Once outside the drum, they sometimes do not fall all the way to the bottom of the machine and they get stuck in spots between the rotating drum and the outer static housing of the machine. This results in a coin severely damaged on one or both sides, sometimes worn completely flat on one side. This looks nothing like your coin. If you want to see some dryer coins, you can type dryer coin into the search box on this site on the main page and look at some of the threads that come up.

On 9/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, powermad5000 said:

A coin in the basin of a washing machine cannot escape the basin so all it will do is get tossed back and forth a little bit. 

Based on personal experience, I have to disagree. Our washing machine died after 27 years. When I turned it on it’s 

side to load it in the back of my truck, over a dollar’s worth of change fell out of the bottom.

On 9/21/2024 at 9:16 PM, Just Bob said:

Based on personal experience, I have to disagree. Our washing machine died after 27 years. When I turned it on it’s 

side to load it in the back of my truck, over a dollar’s worth of change fell out of the bottom.

You got your money's worth out of that machine (pun not intended) and then some (pun intended). Well, I stand corrected then.

I've accidentally left a coin or two in a pocket in my washer but always found them laying in there. Mine is pushing 30 years so I can't complain. That old Kenmore was built to last!