• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

202x Roosevelt Dime
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello again everyone,

Today I present a 202x Roosevelt Dime.

My observation of this coin is that I can see where something could have maybe rubbed away the last digit due to the evidence of some kind of marking maybe from a coin wrapper machine or worn die?

What would have caused the 2 to be lightly imprinted or is that also just being rubbed away? The 2 is outside of the field from a possible wrapping machine (took pictures from different angles).

I need a little help understanding something. When I read err-ref.com, under the heading of DIE ERRORS, they list worn die as an error.

In our world (numismatics) almost all worn die errors is simply ignored because it is so common of an occurrence? In the case of the 3 legged bison (buffalo) nickel, wouldn't that be just a worn die as well?

PXL_20240920_105713105~3.jpg

PXL_20240920_105653477~2.jpg

WIN_20240920_03_45_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240920_03_50_20_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240920_03_50_33_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240920_03_51_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240920_03_52_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240920_03_54_44_Pro.jpg

On 9/20/2024 at 10:21 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

If it is a filled die, is it considered a morning error?

I'm assuming you meant to  type "minting"error not morning error.  In a very technical sense yes filled die strikes are errors as they occur at the time the coin is struck. 

However, these are extremely common, so common that the grading companies only consider it an error if very extreme.   Because filled dies happen so often most knowledgeable collectors do not give this any value or pay extra to collect one.

Edited by Coinbuf

The three legged bison is the result of overpolishing the die. Every coin struck with that die would have 3 legs.
On a grease filled with each strike there gets to be less and less grease until it is removed. In theory each would be slightly different.

Edited by Greenstang

On 9/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, CommunicatorDan said:

So, the 3 legged Bison (Buffalo) nickel, wouldn't that be the same thing?

No, the 1937-D "3-legged" nickel resulted from an overzealous mint worker over polishing a die to remove clash marks. However, I've never sought to acquire one of these nor any "error" or die variety, even if listed in standard coin guides, that resulted from a worn or damaged die. Another example would be the 1922 "Plain" cent that resulted from an overly worn and filled die. I do have a 1982 "No P" Roosevelt dime, which resulted from the mint mark actually being left off the die, which I regard as significant.

Coins struck from deteriorated, filled or chipped dies are just too common and generally too insignificant to attract the attention of knowledgeable collectors. This is inevitable with coins that are mass produced by the hundreds of millions or billions. I recently went through a bag of change I had accumulated and found several pieces with such minor anomalies. I intend to spend them. They included this 2015-P dime with a barely visible date and other signs of "grease" or similar die fill on both sides, as well as several die chips in Roosevelt's hair:

2015-Pdimefilleddieobv..thumb.jpg.e2577b05d566811a22d1e832d1a907e4.jpg

2015-Pdimefilleddierev..thumb.jpg.dc8f1c4854882074bbb8a1401071054a.jpg

Let me make a suggestion to you. If you want to collect coins from pocket change or bank rolls, look for coins that are in uncirculated condition that are devoid of such minor anomalies and that have the strongest strikes, fewest blemishes and spots and the best overall "eye appeal." These are the coins that receive the most attention from most serious collectors today and will likely continue to do so in the future. If you're just using the pieces with minor anomalies to learn or want to save them as novelties, that's fine. Obviously, if you were to find a truly significant mint error, such as a coin struck well off center, a multiple strike, or a clipped planchet, that would be worth saving, but such coins are truly few and far between. Most such pieces are said to be found by bank and distribution personnel and sold to coin dealers before reaching circulation, and since 2002 very few have been managing to leave the mint in the first place.

On 9/20/2024 at 9:00 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

Got it. Thank you.

So, the 3 legged Bison (Buffalo) nickel, wouldn't that be the same thing?

No that is an example of what happens when a die is over polished, or as you asked about in another thread abraded.

Everyone else has properly addressed your issues except for your mention of error-ref.com. Glad to see you are using that site to look into things.

On 9/20/2024 at 6:25 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

When I read err-ref.com, under the heading of DIE ERRORS, they list worn die as an error.

When they are referring to a worn die being an error, they only mean worn in the most extreme or severe of terms meaning major portions of the design are barely visible or missing completely as in on a Roosevelt Dime having maybe only an outline of the head and a few letters of LIBERTY visible. I have provided the link here for you to view. The Mint uses worn dies all the time and overuses worn dies all the time routinely so that is not really an error. It would only be an error when major design elements are missing completely.

https://www.error-ref.com/design-devouring-die-wear/

Thanks everyone. My collecting has kind of changed a little. As was mentioned, I am looking more for those coins even in circulation that have the least coin marks, scratches and such. If I come across such coins and do have chips or cracks, I do place them in a flip or holder. Such as the 1959 penny I posted yesterday or so.