• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 penny struck through
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Was the rear of this coin struck through something or is this some kind of damage? Also would there be doubling on the front or is that just a reflection? Thank you guys for any answers you can give me and other places where I can research this stuff other than YouTube videos since most of them are BSHEIFImage.thumb.jpeg.03260703ca4153b78d8eacebc48e9593.jpegHEIFImage.thumb.jpeg.a1baccea05861e30bc49fa32edc34739.jpegHEIFImage.thumb.jpeg.eed0d978353dc80c4a140aa867d5169f.jpeg

The reverse of this 1967 cent was very likely planed off. The only other possibility is that there was a severe planchet defect that caused the coin to break in two, but this is extremely unlikely. The reverse roughness indicates that it isn't a uniface strike, which would be a virtual impossibility anyway.

I see no "doubling" on this coin, even of the "worthless" kind.

I'll address the reverse of this coin first. I noticed what seems to be to my eyes a "cross-hatch" pattern to the surface. I also note that the surface is at uneven depths scattered about it. Even in the case of a uniface as noted by Sandon which would be more smooth, or in the different case of a capped die in which the surface in some cases may be slightly "wavy" depending on how long the cap was on the die, the surface on your coin I think was abraded in two different directions almost 90 degrees to each other. I think a file was part of what was used to remove material but there could also have been a metal rasp involved too which one would have a little less control on removal of the metal making those random deep spots. Or it could have been a fine file and a coarse file, but either way something used didn't allow the user to have good control on the depth of material removal.

The obverse is slightly worn and it may just be the lighting but I see what might be some strike doubling in the motto and WE TRUST in particular, but I don't see any doubling in LIBERTY or in the date numerals.

I would also say this coin was put back into circulation after the abrasion event which probably dulled down some of the peaks made by the removal tools and allowed the surface to "smooth out" a little bit as well as tone.

On 9/18/2024 at 12:09 AM, Marty1102 said:

Thanks Powermad for your explanation! I appreciate it, thought for once I found something cool.

No problem!!! :hi:

Eventually I have a feeling you will find something cool. One thing I have noticed about collecting, at least for me, is that I didn't find the coins I have, they found me.