• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 No M/M Penny Rim Error
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi I have a question about my 1948 no M/M Lincoln Penny. It’s a rim error but I have tried looking for another one that looks similar but have not found any. If anyone wants to take a look and tell me what you think? It’s in fairly decent condition and it looks like it spells UBERTY. Thanks in advance for the info and input. image.thumb.jpg.2e9b41655ed7d87565a64c9ae3c3f85a.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 9/16/2024 at 9:23 PM, Stebo280 said:

It’s a rim error

I am sorry but it is not. There are many Lincoln Wheat cents (not pennies) with the L near or on the rim and I have seen a couple where the vertical rib of the L is non existent as it migrated into the rim itself (but cannot appear as the rim is not part of the design of the strike) due to excessive die wear. More of these are found in the late 40's through 50's when mintages started regularly exceeding 100,000,000 pieces and surely when they exceeded 1,000,000,000 pieces. The Mint was cranking them out and using dies well beyond their useful life typically to the point where the dies simply broke and were no longer useable.

The condition on your coin was accurately described above by Coinbuf who favors collecting these cents.

Just because something about a coin looks unusual to you, you should not jump to the conclusion that the coin exhibits a "mint error"! The vast majority of coins posted by new or casual collectors as "mint errors" on this forum are either post-mint damage or minor anomalies better referred to as quality control issues that are quite common and of little or no value to knowledgeable collectors. Sometimes, they are even perfectly normal coins.

As noted by @Coinbuf, it is normal for the "L" in LIBERTY to be near or on the rim on Lincoln cents of the 1940-68 era. The obverse master hub used for Lincoln cents had last been replaced in 1919, and the design and lettering gradually spread out over decades of use. By the mid-1960s, all of the letters in IN GOD WE TRUST as well as the "L" were connected to the rim.  The tiny anomaly between the "L" and "I" may be a die chip, a small planchet defect, or post-mint damage, but, in any case, it is nothing that would be of significant interest to knowledgeable collectors. (In the future, please provide clear, cropped images of each full side of a coin about which you have questions, and send the images directly from your computer instead of images of the screen, which are too pixilated to see small details clearly.)

If you are of the impression based on what you have seen on the internet that one can regularly find coins exhibiting significant mint errors in pocket change or accumulations of common coins, please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).   

Mint errors are an advanced topic in numismatics, and you should have a good grasp of more basic topics, such as the history and types of U.S. coinage, grading, and how coins are made, before you attempt to collect them. You must also learn about the various types of mint errors and how they occur. You can't just call something a "rim error". Is it, for example, an off-center strike? a planchet lamination? a strikethrough? what?

See the following articles for introductory information on mint errors:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Various articles on the NGC website in the series entitled "Mint Error Coin Chronicles" (Enter this term in the search bar.)   

The site error-ref.com is intended to provide a comprehensive listing of mint error types, with images and descriptions.  

At Sandon I simply posted a picture of one of my coins that was interesting to myself and I wanted to share and ask about it. I do appreciate the feedback and the time you and others took to respond. I very much appreciate the history and information that was shared. But when you automatically Assume things about someone it doesn’t make you look smart. It’s actually the very opposite. L in Liberty on the rim of the coin is very much a rim error. So you might want to sharpen up your own technique and reread those post you rudely tried shoving at me. Just because someone asks a question or dose not know the complete story or history behind something doesn’t make them stupid, like I feel you tried subtly doing it to me. It really has the opposite effect in my opinion. The one that got me best and I actually had a good laugh about was the fact that you felt you had the right to tell me that I needed to learn the basic history, types , grading before I could even actually start collecting them. Lol. You’re not speaking to an ignorant child who needs to be educated. How do you know what I know or don’t know? So tonight when you spend the night alone sitting at your computer maybe you should pull up that list of informative articles and start reading. Again I appreciate the effort you took but I’m not one of those people that gives out participation awards. 

On 9/17/2024 at 11:04 PM, Stebo280 said:

L in Liberty on the rim of the coin is very much a rim error.

The issue you have with another member here is not something I am getting involved with. I do, however, would like to know where the resource is that states the L on the rim is an error. I searched the entire site error-ref.com and the only two things involving the rim that are errors are for crenellated rim and for rim restricted strikes. In all my years of collecting, every collector I have had discussion on this exact topic has stated this not to be an error.

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=rim+error

If you could point me to the resource where this is listed as an error on Lincoln Wheat cents, I would appreciate it.

On 9/16/2024 at 11:34 PM, Sandon said:

Just because something about a coin looks unusual to you, you should not jump to the conclusion that the coin exhibits a "mint error"! The vast majority of coins posted by new or casual collectors as "mint errors" on this forum are either post-mint damage or minor anomalies better referred to as quality control issues that are quite common and of little or no value to knowledgeable collectors. Sometimes, they are even perfectly normal coins.

As noted by @Coinbuf, it is normal for the "L" in LIBERTY to be near or on the rim on Lincoln cents of the 1940-68 era. The obverse master hub used for Lincoln cents had last been replaced in 1919, and the design and lettering gradually spread out over decades of use. By the mid-1960s, all of the letters in IN GOD WE TRUST as well as the "L" were connected to the rim.  The tiny anomaly between the "L" and "I" may be a die chip, a small planchet defect, or post-mint damage, but, in any case, it is nothing that would be of significant interest to knowledgeable collectors. (In the future, please provide clear, cropped images of each full side of a coin about which you have questions, and send the images directly from your computer instead of images of the screen, which are too pixilated to see small details clearly.)

If you are of the impression based on what you have seen on the internet that one can regularly find coins exhibiting significant mint errors in pocket change or accumulations of common coins, please read the following recent article by a prominent coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).   

Mint errors are an advanced topic in numismatics, and you should have a good grasp of more basic topics, such as the history and types of U.S. coinage, grading, and how coins are made, before you attempt to collect them. You must also learn about the various types of mint errors and how they occur. You can't just call something a "rim error". Is it, for example, an off-center strike? a planchet lamination? a strikethrough? what?

See the following articles for introductory information on mint errors:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Various articles on the NGC website in the series entitled "Mint Error Coin Chronicles" (Enter this term in the search bar.)   

The site error-ref.com is intended to provide a comprehensive listing of mint error types, with images and descriptions.  

Great post. Don't let the OP's post bother you. It's clear the truth was not what he wanted to here. I hope he will read what has been posted with a fresh mind and change his opinion. Maybe he will learn how common Lincolns with this look are.  

On 9/18/2024 at 12:04 AM, Stebo280 said:

Can you identify any legitimate numismatic reference that says so and explains what problem in the production process at the mint causes such a "rim error"? As noted by @powermad5000, a search of the term "rim error" on error-ref.com, a widely accepted source, reveals no error types given that name or anything about the "L" in LIBERTY on a Lincoln cent being close to or touching the rim being a "rim error".

I have been collecting and studying U.S. coins for over 53 years now. I'm just trying to share what I have learned with newer collectors. I don't know everything about coins--no one does--and have learned some things myself from other chat board participants. As you posted a topic on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, I assumed that you are a new collector who wanted to learn. Your question revealed to me a lack of what I regard as basic knowledge, which has nothing to do with your level of intelligence, so I tried to lead you to resources from which you might learn.  As this is a public forum, it is possible that others may learn from my post even if you don't.

If you enjoy collecting coins with small anomalies that are best described as quality control issues rather than mint errors, you are welcome to do so. If you find them among coins that cost you little, there is no harm done. However, wouldn't you want to know the true market value of a piece that some huckster offers you as a "rim" or "UBERTY" "error" before paying good money for it?

On 9/17/2024 at 11:04 PM, Stebo280 said:

No, it is not.

On 9/19/2024 at 3:25 AM, LOCK34 said:

The OP's posts sound like the majority of posts on all of those moronic FB coin pages.

“Life is like a box of chocolates….”