• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay coin real or fake
1 1

12 posts in this topic

So I came across this “NGC graded” 1933 silver half dollar I was interested in purchasing on eBay the seller is claiming it’s legit. Only issue I have is I looked the coin up on the NGC website and I noticed that the coin shown on the NGC website the little NGC sticker was gold and the one the seller on eBay displayed is silver. I asked the seller about it and he claims it is authentic. Can anyone tell if it’s legitimate?IMG_2159.thumb.jpeg.6b557799df4c18d9717672dcfcd76280.jpegIMG_2161.thumb.jpeg.cad1662b8a2ce792ac4353bef76bd4ee.jpeg

top pic is the one on eBay bottom pic is the one displayed on the NGC website

Edited by Shrimpy D Luffy

Looks fine, just how the seller took or edited his auction photos.    If the seller has decent feedback you should be fine.   If when you get it your still not convinced ebay will always allow the buyer to return. 

Additionally I have not seen this slab version counterfeited, at least not yet.

You can use the NGC Certificate Verification application, found under the "Resources" tab at the top of the NGC home page, to verify that the serial number of an NGC holder matches the description of the coin. Pieces certified since late 2008 include images of the coin in its holder.

You generally shouldn't pay over retail list prices for a coin. You can often buy them for less at auctions and from dealers. While a 1933-S WL half dollar is a scarce piece in uncirculated grades, this issue isn't so rare that price guides, which are based on recent reported transactions, don't reflect their current market value. The four price guides I checked (NGC, PCGS, CPG and Coin World) show a price range of $1,850 to $2,500 for this issue in MS 64, with PCGS being the highest as usual. If I wanted to buy this coin in this grade, I would shop around to find an acceptable piece at a better price. (The brightness of this coin suggests that it was "dipped" in an anti-tarnish solution, which may explain why it achieved a "64" (Very Choice) grade instead of a higher, "Gem" grade.) If possible, you should inspect such coins in-hand before purchasing.

How does this coin fit into your collecting goals? Are you trying to put together a complete set of WL halves in uncirculated grades? This is quite an expensive proposition for the coins dated from 1916-33. If you're just looking for a type coin, a Philadelphia piece from the 1940s can easily be purchased in as high a grade as MS 66 for under $200. If you're new to collecting, it's more important to "buy the book before the coin" and learn about the coins you want to collect before looking to purchase coins at this price level. If you attend coin shows and other venues where you can examine a variety of coins, you will learn what genuine pieces are supposed to look like and be less likely to be deceived by all but the most sophisticated fakes. You will also develop your own taste and not base your purchases entirely upon the grade on a grading service label. Take your time!

Typically the price guide value, while taken from a past auction result, is only a GUIDE. Mostly I see coins selling below that value which is closer to FMV in my opinion. Any given auction can have the gavel price driven up by two bidders in a bidding war over the same coin, but is not indicative of a true FMV.

That said, eBay is notorious for sellers listing their coins well in excess of the value in the price guide. My opinion is they can sit on that coin forever at that price. As an example, I made a recent purchase to finish the proofs in my Susan B Anthony set. The most expensive being the 1981 S Type 2 PF 70 UC. As this is listed in the NGC price guide for that date, mintmark, and grade as $545, there were many sellers with offerings at that price and above it, some up to $750. Patience is the key. I checked listings for this every week for over a year and finally found a seller offering one for $275 which I feel is much more in line with FMV on this. Once I double checked and verified the coin was the same as shown in verification, I made the purchase.

One thing I have noted in this hobby is that patience will save you money. There are a lot of sellers and dealers that make their money off of yours burning a hole in your pocket and off of your "need" to have it right now. In your case here, stop and think for a second. There were 1,786,000 of these minted. NGC is showing 183 graded by them at this grade. It is also showing two auctions conducted by Heritage Auctions that sold for BELOW the $1,800, one of them just last year. Just saying. It is your money however and you can do with it as you wish.

On 9/16/2024 at 8:07 AM, Sandon said:

You can use the NGC Certificate Verification application, found under the "Resources" tab at the top of the NGC home page, to verify that the serial number of an NGC holder matches the description of the coin. Pieces certified since late 2008 include images of the coin in its holder.

You generally shouldn't pay over retail list prices for a coin. You can often buy them for less at auctions and from dealers. While a 1933-S WL half dollar is a scarce piece in uncirculated grades, this issue isn't so rare that price guides, which are based on recent reported transactions, don't reflect their current market value. The four price guides I checked (NGC, PCGS, CPG and Coin World) show a price range of $1,850 to $2,500 for this issue in MS 64, with PCGS being the highest as usual. If I wanted to buy this coin in this grade, I would shop around to find an acceptable piece at a better price. (The brightness of this coin suggests that it was "dipped" in an anti-tarnish solution, which may explain why it achieved a "64" (Very Choice) grade instead of a higher, "Gem" grade.) If possible, you should inspect such coins in-hand before purchasing.

How does this coin fit into your collecting goals? Are you trying to put together a complete set of WL halves in uncirculated grades? This is quite an expensive proposition for the coins dated from 1916-33. If you're just looking for a type coin, a Philadelphia piece from the 1940s can easily be purchased in as high a grade as MS 66 for under $200. If you're new to collecting, it's more important to "buy the book before the coin" and learn about the coins you want to collect before looking to purchase coins at this price level. If you attend coin shows and other venues where you can examine a variety of coins, you will learn what genuine pieces are supposed to look like and be less likely to be deceived by all but the most sophisticated fakes. You will also develop your own taste and not base your purchases entirely upon the grade on a grading service label. Take your time!

Thanks again for your knowledgeable advice. As to how this coin would fit in to my collection. I wanted to add a WL half dollar to my collection and out of everything I came across this date in particular for some odd reason, I felt like I was drawn to it 😂. The 1933 s WL half dollar was simply just the one I liked the most. But I am still searching for one I can get at a fair price. 

On 9/16/2024 at 9:01 AM, Shrimpy D Luffy said:

Thanks for your guys help I am going to send him an offer hopefully we can reach a deal. I seen the price guide value the coin at around 1800 but the seller wants 2800. Is that too over priced?? I really want it but an extra 1000 seems a little steep.

That is way too much.  Back in April Great Collections auctioned a PCGS MS64+ with a CAC green bean for $2,487.  Standard MS64's are crossing the block at $2,200 +/-.

I bought this 1945-D, a slightly better late date, that NGC graded MS 66 from an online auction held by a major auction house (Stacks Bowers) for about $166, including shipping, last year.

1945-Dhalfdollarobv..jpg.e4aea262c2125cfda07a2959cae96494.jpg

1945-Dhalfdollarrev..jpg.91330b76d386d82b2d4e78eac0d7571b.jpg

Images courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.