• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want advice on Identifying Rare Varieties in U.S. Coin Collections
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I want advice on identifying rare varieties within U.S. coin collections. I have  started focusing on expanding my collection to include some of the more elusive & valuable varieties but I am finding it challenging to pinpoint which specific features or attributes to look for.

Could anyone provide insights or tips on how to identify rare or valuable coin varieties, particularly for common series like the Lincoln cents or Mercury dimes? 

I am interested in learning about any notable examples of rare finds or recent discoveries in these series.

As well, I found these resources when doing research on this; https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/36195-richmondalteryx-designer-core-certi-collection/ witch is good still need advice  if anyone have any resources, tutorials or personal experiences please share with me, It would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you……….:grin:

It may also help you to know that both this company, NGC, and another 3rd party service PCGS, have pictures of the coins they slab.  If you look at the various varieties they slab you can also see a picture of said coins.  good luck.  James

Good luck, time for you to do some homework.   Study the coin listed on the NGC variety Plus page on the main website, once you have studied those coins you will know what to look for.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The link to a forum topic from 2005 in your initial post regarding the Richmond Collection seems irrelevant to learning about die varieties. Why did you link it?

Before you get into collecting die varieties--which I assume you understand are different from mint errors--it is essential to understand more basic topics in numismatics, such as the history and types of U.S. coinage, grading, and how coins and the dies from which they are struck are made. Without this more basic knowledge, you are likely to have difficulty in identifying, understanding or evaluating die varieties. 

How long have you been collecting, and what types of coins do you collect?   What books and online resources do you use to learn about coins? I can better help you if I have this information.

On 9/13/2024 at 5:49 PM, Just Bob said:

You guys are talking to a robot. This isn't about varieties, or even about coins period. It is about getting you to click on the spam link hidden in his post 

I appreciate the Public Service Announcement!

I didn't respond, but not because I spotted the spam link -- I am not smart enough to keep my guard up.  Rather, it's because the language used seemed stilted and unnatural. Why would someone with a seemingly good grasp of the hobby ask questions about an advanced area of numismatics for which he/she would presumably have had some knowledge?   The knowledge the OP seeks is not easily transferred without the necessary footwork which would entail an investment of time and accumulation of experience.  

Good call, JB!

On 9/13/2024 at 4:08 PM, Just Bob said:

I take it no one has caught that spam link hidden in the above post. 

Nope. I never even saw it. I rarely read the whole email. Read the first sentence, responded and went my merry way. Good catch.