• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting ancients from hoards
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Apologies if this subject or something like it has been covered previously but I searched and couldn't find anything. I have an antoninianus of Emperor Postumus that I bought from Apmex that I want to send in for grading. The flip the coin was shipped in had a Harlan J. Berk insert that showed the coin was from the Cunetio hoard, as well as the weight and the description of the reverse of the coin. Will this information be included when the coin is encapsulated if i simply leave the insert in the flip? If not, how do I go about making sure the information is included? Thanks for any help.

• Administrator

Hello!

Thanks for contacting us. On the submission form there is a section in box 11 used to label Varieties and Mint Errors. In this line, please write "Cunetio hoard" and select the Pedigree service in box 7. Please note, our graders will need the coin and hoard info in house to confirm if this would apply to this coin. Please be sure to leave this information in the flip for our graders to review. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Have a great weekend! 

Hello Matt. Thanks for the help. The submission form you're referring to is the World coin form. The ancient coin submission form is different. Do I need to submit this coin with World coin form? Thanks again for the help.

On 8/29/2024 at 11:18 PM, jpmarshll said:

The flip the coin was shipped in had a Harlan J. Berk insert

This is a reputable dealer in downtown Chicago that I have bought many coins from over decades. Their descriptions of ancients is pretty spot on. I bought a Ptolemaic Kingdom Cleopatra Tetradrachm from them and other than being off only by a few years in the date, everything else was spot on.

I would say you need to use the Ancients form to submit this, but wait to hear the official answer from a representative here or more speedily give NGC a call and ask customer service over the phone.

Hello powermad5000. Thanks for the reply. Do you think I need to submit this coin alone or can I send it in with other coins? I have other coins I want to send in but this Postumus coin is the only one I have a provenance for. Thanks, Jon

On 9/3/2024 at 3:11 AM, jpmarshll said:

Do you think I need to submit this coin alone or can I send it in with other coins?

You can submit as many different coins as you want to. On the ancients submission form, you are supposed to write in as much about the coin as you know as a standard practice for submitting ancients. But you can send only ancients on an ancients submission form.

Example as in your case, say you have 5 ancients and only know some about one of them. You would denote what you know about the one, and on the other 4 just write you have no available information to add. You can then submit all 5 on the same ancients form.

You can also send in ancients, and classic submissions and moderns all in the same shipment, just not on the same submission forms.

Sorry for the delay in response. I didn't get a notification since you didn't quote me and I just came off of a long overtime job.

Edited by powermad5000