• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944 wheat penny
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I have this penny and it has a die crack coming from the rim that is more noticeable. But I think that there's a second one above it, going down at an angle through one cent. Tell me what you think.  Please and Thank you. 😁

20240827_204039.jpg

20240827_203330.jpg

20240827_203237.jpg

20240827_203503.jpg

20240827_203619.jpg

20240827_203546.jpg

The Honorable Danny Downer, presiding.

The People:  An allegation of a dead die, er, broken die, sorry, a die break...

The Court;  What do I think? What am I supposed to think?

🐓  :  The coin is 80 years old, your Honor!

The Court;  Tell me about it... Whose claiming jurisdiction here?  Who is the aggrieved party here? What damages were purportedly suffered?

(No response.)

The Court;  Time-barred by the Statute of Limitations.

Case closed.

Bailif!   Next Case.

(Privately... die marriages, mules, proof dies cracks, laminations,  speared animals (why isn't this ASPCA's reslonsibility?)  Spitting protected species  3-legged bison. I tell you these numystical folks are driving me nuts!.  It's gotten so bad, you can't even enjoy a porcelain counterfeit in the privacy of your own home.)  :)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Additional musing s

The line looks too straight to be a die crack to me. It is hard to tell from the supplied photos if it is just damage. I think I see some metal displaced around it and seeing the overall condition of this cent I would probably attribute it to damage but I do not have the coin in hand to be able to properly assess the condition seen on it.

It is hard to tell from the condition of the coin, but it could be a cracked planchet. More likely just a scratch with a sharp object. At any rate it would not be worth a premium due to all the damage in other places. It is still worth keeping if you like I save many wheat cents.

On 8/28/2024 at 3:32 PM, Nessa4va said:

.... What's the best way to photograph coins?

I wish I knew.  The now primitive one I have that I got from a box of Crackerjacks in the late 1950's simply is not up to the job.

On 8/28/2024 at 3:32 PM, Nessa4va said:

What's the best way to photograph coins?

For full coin images, take them from directly overhead, properly focused and cropped to eliminate the surface surrounding the coin as much as possible. Here is an example, also of a 1944 cent:

1944centobv..thumb.jpg.be9e7c3e9cae06a11480b3e8696a4298.jpg

1944centrev..thumb.jpg.f3d4dc6a7a9456a7106cf12531b63007.jpg

Transmit the images directly from your computer instead of taking shots of the computer screen with your phone. Closeups should also be clear and taken from directly overhead, like these (of a 1972 minor doubled die cent, FS-102):

S20240627_0005.jpg.5f95941336dcb68b2c1ff6a874273683.jpg

S20240627_0006.thumb.jpg.6101ed1a4dee231cd2a6aba135aac002.jpg

Based on what I can see so far, the line on your 1944 cent appears to be at least partly beneath the surface of the coin. A die crack appears as an entirely raised line on a coin. The coin is so worn, battered and corroded that it may be very difficult to assess it without in-person examination. Die cracks or quite common on U.S. coins of all eras, but it is interesting to find one.

On 8/28/2024 at 2:32 PM, Nessa4va said:

I'll try to take better pictures, with better angles and views. What's the best way to photograph coins?

The first images are not that bad. You could just play with the lighting and the focus a bit and see what you get. The camera you have may be fine. The scope images could look more natural if you can control the white balance. 

You can post the other images as additional replies, but from what you have posted, it is pretty clear that the coin is just scratched.