• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny error?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

As you didn't state, I have to that you are referring to the 9.    

No, it is not an error, it is damage frrom taking a hit of some sort. Thereb s no way for that to happen when the coin was struck

I'm sorry. I didn't think I would have to state the obvious. Your saying it would be impossible for that to happen when the coin was struck?

There are only certain things during the striking of the coin that can happen to cause an error and I can't think of any of those things that would that would cause that damage.  If you have any idea, please tell what you think could have caused it.

I dont know a whole lot about coins,that's why I'm on here asking. I'm kinda new to hunting and looking for these "Error" coins. I would think that if it was a mark made by a hit that it would be a mark into the coin and not raised up and the same thickness and size of the 9. If it got hit that hard in that spot to do damage like that I figured it would of caused some kind of noticeable damage that is off the 9 in the same direction the line of damage is.. I honestly don't have a clue what could do that . Does anybody else have any input on this " damaged coin"

On 8/26/2024 at 5:49 PM, Jon DJ said:

I dont know a whole lot about coins,that's why I'm on here asking. I'm kinda new to hunting and looking for these "Error" coins. I would think that if it was a mark made by a hit that it would be a mark into the coin and not raised up and the same thickness and size of the 9. If it got hit that hard in that spot to do damage like that I figured it would of caused some kind of noticeable damage that is off the 9 in the same direction the line of damage is.. I honestly don't have a clue what could do that . Does anybody else have any input on this " damaged coin"

The highly rare and highly dangerous Bed Bug Ninja has attacked the 9 with his sword. 

The coin is damaged....as are 99.9999% of all the junk being promoted by internet liars.

On finding something like this in your pocket change, the first assumption must be "damage." Then look for rational ways for it to have been struck like that. This latter approach required you to read about and understand the basics of coin production.

Members will help you and answer questions.

Copper is soft and your coin took a hit on the nine and the metal pushed over to the left of where it was supposed to be. That piece of metal may look like it is attached to the coin but I would bet it is only hanging on by just a small amount of copper.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think you have a combination of things that happened. I think the 9 took a minor hit but also happens to have a die chip bisecting the curve of the 9. I don't think a hit displaced that much metal without affecting the the overall curvature at the right side of the 9 which is still intact.

By unwritten Law, I must agree with the substance of the remarks made above, some by members who were here when trilobites and pterodactyls roamed the earth at will -- or so legend has it.

While there is no member who has taken a harder stance against the sudden proliferation of ERRORS, the irrefutible truth is you have a better chance of coming across a 1943 "copper" penny in change than you will an alleged ERROR.

In your favor, however, I am constrained to admit I have never seen another like it and we're talking about a common cent that has apparently gone unnoticed in circulation for over 40 years.  The damage, when inflicted, does not appear to be recent.  (I will have to check with our resident Mad Scientists to confirm none have been tampering with this type coin of this vintage.:roflmao:

My advice to you is hold on to it. Place it in an ordinary cardboard flip as it is unusual. Its so-called Fair Market Value would depend on how desirable collectors who specialize in "ERRORS" find it to be. To me, it appears unique as the copper alloy used appears to have been displaced by unknown means leaving a distinct "shadow" behind indicating its proper position. You may wish to explore this with collectors who are enamored of such interesting displaced strikes whether made intentionally or not.