• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 D Lincoln Penny Mintmark Doubling
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The image that has a whitish color is "split plating", a very common characteristic of "D" mint copper plated zinc cents from the 1980s and 1990s, not a repunched mintmark (RPM) or anything else desirable. I'm not sure about the other extra image but believe it to be the result of strike doubling. I checked the Variety Vista site for 1984-D cent RPMs, and this coin doesn't appear to match any of the three varieties listed there. http://www.varietyvista.com/02b LC RPMs Vol 2/RPMs 1984D.htm.

There can’t be Doubling on the mm as it was hand punched into the die in 1984.   What you have as Sandon described  is a combination of split plating and machine doubling. Neither add any premium.

Edited by Greenstang

Skin cancer. Trust me. I have the wounds to prove my expertise. 

I get it the white spot above D is corrosion and white spot at the SE or 5:00 position is separation. Just above the separation is where I am focusing. The Lincoln Cent RPM Book Volume 2 shows a 1984 D with RPM-003 which looks just like mine. 

Thoughts?