• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to call this 1962 D Lincoln cent error
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Iā€™m not exactly sure if this was a diebreak and it Shifted during the pressing or what. Iā€™ve been doing this around 20 years and havenā€™t seen something like this. Just hoping to get some insight.

Your photos have so much compression damage that it's not clear what you are trying to show. Shift your phone camera to the highest QUALITY setting, then post the photos, NOT screen grabs.

Thanks! :)

It is a posable lamination error due to impurities in the planchet from the looks of the metal on the last picture. There are multiple areas on this reverse I see. I would put this in a flip as a keeper. Not worth much in the open market unless you find an error collector.

JPM Thatā€™s not because of planchette impurities. The right edge of the memorial building is broken off. And thereā€™s raised areas across the coin like what would be the columns. itā€™s an impression of something else and or broken die. Iā€™ll be posting better pictures with arrows.

The pics are from a microscope, USB card transferred to my phone they are not pics of a screen but post some better ones with arrows so you can see what Iā€™m talking about. I just joined the site but Iā€™ve been doing coins for over 20 years.. everything with arrows and the broken off memorial building is raised. Itā€™s not concaved.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:25 PM, Clintjc1 said:

The pics are from a microscope, USB card transferred to my phone they are not pics of a screen but post some better ones with arrows so you can see what Iā€™m talking about. I just joined the site but Iā€™ve been doing coins for over 20 years.. everything with arrows and the broken off memorial building is raised. Itā€™s not concaved.

This garbage is from a screen grab. Note the grid....

Image1.jpg.5ff9573cd1ba1e85739a58dd794281ea.jpg

This shows extreme compression defects caused by trying to save an image into a very small file. Meaningful detail is replaced with algorithm generated mush.

Image2.jpg.a5e395b15e778e1067a223fbc5ea11c5.jpg

If you post clear, good resolution photos (300 dpi or better), members will have something useful to examine and possibly help you understand what happened to your coin.

(The word "concaved" has no meaning in your comment.)

:)

Yeah, one of the photos was from my computer screen. The rest are from a microscope, and they are very detailed for the question about the memorial building and everywhere thereā€™s an arrow. I donā€™t have the brand new iPhone. This is the best pics I can get. If someone canā€™t see the obvious memorial building on the left looking like it was broken off then itā€™s OK to not answer if you canā€™t see it. I donā€™t use every coin term correctly. Even though you know what I mean by concaved if you just want to correct a term just please pass on by

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Ā 

What I see on your cent is that it is heavily circulated. The columns on the Memorial are worn basically smooth and I see a lot of circulation hits and chatter on both sides of this coin. While it is possible this could have a strike through on the left side of the Memorial at the base, I think that would be a very hard sell at a grading table with all of the combined hits all over this coin and I personally think it is just damage from circulation or tomfoolery or both.Ā 

Well the Original pictures have been removed so I have nothing to reference. Clintjc1 It is ok to add pictures, but you removed the only picture that showed posable layered lamination now everything looks like damage to me with the new pictures. It now looks like the left step took a hit and the metal displaced closer to the rim. So now I would not save this coin in a flip.(thumbsu

Edited by J P M

Damage. Nothing more.

Accurate use of numismatic terminology is critical to others understanding you. That is why I mentioned the "concaved" term. There is nothing "concave" about any of the damage on your coin; hence, what is it that people are supposed to respond to? (Merely saying, "It looks like part of the building fell off" is clear enough.)

:)

Edited by RWB

On 8/15/2024 at 7:34 AM, RWB said:

.... Accurate use of numismatic terminology is critical to others understanding you....

A T T E N T I O NĀ  @Mike Meenderink Ā ...

:news:.Ā  Ā :news:.Ā  Ā Ā :news:.

Re:Ā  "Cherry Picking"

:sumo:

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ well I heard this wasnā€™t any better than talking to people on a Facebook group this is proved them right. I thought there would be some experts in here, but this is NOT the place For sure, or if there are experts that are on these forums, they just havenā€™t been on my page. Just the fact that you guys can call it damaged mine blowing, especially when everything is raised. I guess I gotta expect that in groups now. No disrespect, but apparently I have a lot more expertise than the guys that have said itā€™s damage.šŸ˜‚. No worries though Iā€™ll just Have the Fresno coin gallery send it in for me like they said and maybe you guys will see it and learn something. Anyways Iā€™ll leave it with these pics of different angles to show you that theyā€™re not necks and whatever damage you think is there. Where the memorial building on the left bottom looks broken, You can see in these pics if it was damaged the field in between what looks broken, wouldnā€™t be smooth as the rest of the fields of the coin. You can actually see how it looks like it would move right back into place like it was actually broken. If you look close enough, you can see the bottom two steps and the edge of the taller portion above them on the piece that looks broken off. Regardless, Iā€™ll leave it at that if no one can see whatā€™s actually going on with this coin then I wonā€™t waste any more of your time

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

Thanks for the better pictures. It is raised. Which also supports that it is damage because someone took a welder and some rod to it.

DIES FROM A PRESS COULD NOT POSSIBLY LEAVE THIS RAISED SPOT AS THE STRIKE WOULD HAVE FLATTENED IT!

But since I don't know anything after doing this for 45+ years and you know it all, good luck sending it to whoever and have a nice day!

Ā 

Edited by powermad5000
gen Z making my blocked list a mile long

On 8/15/2024 at 11:26 PM, Clintjc1 said:

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ well I heard this wasnā€™t any better than talking to people on a Facebook group this is proved them right. I thought there would be some experts in here, but this is NOT the place For sure, or if there are experts that are on these forums, they just havenā€™t been on my page. Just the fact that you guys can call it damaged mine blowing, especially when everything is raised. I guess I gotta expect that in groups now. No disrespect, but apparently I have a lot more expertise than the guys that have said itā€™s damage.šŸ˜‚. No worries though Iā€™ll just Have the Fresno coin gallery send it in for me like they said and maybe you guys will see it and learn something. Anyways Iā€™ll leave it with these pics of different angles to show you that theyā€™re not necks and whatever damage you think is there. Where the memorial building on the left bottom looks broken, You can see in these pics if it was damaged the field in between what looks broken, wouldnā€™t be smooth as the rest of the fields of the coin. You can actually see how it looks like it would move right back into place like it was actually broken. If you look close enough, you can see the bottom two steps and the edge of the taller portion above them on the piece that looks broken off. Regardless, Iā€™ll leave it at that if no one can see whatā€™s actually going on with this coin then I wonā€™t waste any more of your time

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

It is your coin to do with as you please. You asked if it was an error, and we can only go by the photos you have posted, and it mostly looks like damage from what we all can see.

A great deal of damage can result from a coin being in circulation for longer than President Kennedy had been assassinated, '62 vs. '63.

They've revisited the crime scene in Dallas many times but why should it surprise anyone that the site's configuration had been modified a number of times since. A chance to solve an enduring mystery what with the change in landscaping, quick sterilization of the interior of the Lincoln used, an explanation of the trajectory of the mystery bullet fired were irretrievably lost to history.

This is why I proposed a Statute of Limitations on all claims of ERRORS on coins older than 25 years (i.e., minted during this century).Ā  When weathering and corrosion coupled with ordinary wear and tear takes place, it is highly unlikely an error may have occurred.Ā  Varieties are exempt.Ā  The ones that have been discovered are well documented and many were discovered centuries after their mintage.Ā 

I understand your use of the word concave, presumably as opposed to convexed, but what we have here is common, garden-variety "pitting."

As a personal note, there is something evident to me that would not be evident to you, as a Newbie of only 48+ hours, and that is the stature of some of the members that have weighed in. They are steeped in numismystique and have seen and heard it all with many decades of experience amongst them. If you're looking for an early release on discretionary parole, fuggettaboutit!Ā  Not happenin'!Ā  On the other hand, if you feel strongly enough about what you believe to be true, don't let anyone dissuade you.Ā  Reversals on appeal are rare but not unheard of.Ā Ā (thumbsu

On 8/16/2024 at 5:32 PM, Henri Charriere said:

They've revisited the crime scene in Dallas many times but why should it surprise anyone that the site's configuration had been modified a number of times since. A chance to solve an enduring mystery what with the change in landscaping, quick sterilization of the interior of the Lincoln used, an explanation of the trajectory of the mystery bullet fired were irretrievably lost to history.

I visited the book depository several years ago when I made a trip to Dallas. Inside, they have a museum where you can get all the way to the spot where the shots were presumably fired from. The actual spot is behind glass but you are able to see out the window. On the street they have white X's where each shot was supposed to have hit its mark. The rifle used is also behind the glass. When looking at everything together, in the amount of time, with having to reload a bolt action rifle and re-aim, I don't see how it could have been done in that timeframe.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:28 PM, powermad5000 said:

I visited the book depository several years ago when I made a trip to Dallas. Inside, they have a museum where you can get all the way to the spot where the shots were presumably fired from. The actual spot is behind glass but you are able to see out the window. On the street they have white X's where each shot was supposed to have hit its mark. The rifle used is also behind the glass. When looking at everything together, in the amount of time, with having to reload a bolt action rifle and re-aim, I don't see how it could have been done in that timeframe.

Especially looking at the secret service these days I believe the fatal head shot was a accident by the secret service. The guys pulls out his gun so fast it went off . At the moment the secret service is blaming others for their mistakes.Ā 

On 8/16/2024 at 11:28 PM, powermad5000 said:

A few years back, the ANA had its spring show in Dallas. I took a graded Kennedy half dollar to Dealey Plaza and ā€œshotā€ it (photographically). I then shot it again from the grassy knoll. Then I took video from where Zapruder stood. I observed the Xā€™s on the street. Those shots Oswald took were NOT tough shots. I could have made them any day. But yes, I was a trained marksman and biathlete in my youth. The last and fatal shot was pretty far down range from the first, but the slope made it almost a ā€œzero aim changeā€ shot. Slightly upward but virtually no left or right.

i didnā€™t have time to hang out for two days to shoot Oswald.Ā 

Edited by VKurtB