• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Nickel roll
1 1

37 posts in this topic

This could be a big win couldn't it? The ender you can see parts of 3 steps. Lem E has one that is 67+ It says it's worth over $4000. 

Sell the roll or open it?  The person who saved it died in 1991. 

DSC03009.JPG

DSC03011.JPG

I hereby swear, under oath, that any Jefferson nickel -- provided all other observable features are in order -- is worth a 1-1/4 cent, per step.

Never assume anything.  Open the roll and examine its contents.  (If you find an 1894-S dime, that should suffice as my fee for consultation.)

Is this an old bank roll. Most likely .... Is this an unopened old bank roll...Less likely. ... And yes, Lem has some very nice nickels and most of them you do not find on a regular basis. They are usually rare.

Edited by J P M

The guy has some good coins in his collection that is for sure. I think i'm gonna have to open it. Still going through the other nickels. He has some very clean 1967 ones but no steps. Half a tube's worth. 

DSC03029.JPG

DSC03033.JPG

IMHO there is NO roll that can be considered as unsearched unless it has official US Treasury paper wrap on it.

I can pretty much guarantee you will not find an MS 67 in the roll. If I had it I would open it. If you are looking to make a buck then sell it unopened. I can pretty much bet you will get more for it unopened in an eBay auction than you will get if you open it and try to sell each one raw.

Again, you are showing us pictures of coins shot on an angle. This type of shot will make any coin look better than it is. If you find any 1960's coins with steps it would be a very rare find.

On 8/11/2024 at 12:16 PM, powermad5000 said:

IMHO there is NO roll that can be considered as unsearched unless it has official US Treasury paper wrap on it.

I can pretty much guarantee you will not find an MS 67 in the roll. If I had it I would open it. If you are looking to make a buck then sell it unopened. I can pretty much bet you will get more for it unopened in an eBay auction than you will get if you open it and try to sell each one raw.

do certain rolls come from a certain place? How would they have come in 1962? I got this roll I put away last year. Got a few of them roll hunting. I put one aside. Probably should just spend them. 

DSC03040.JPG

On 8/11/2024 at 4:19 PM, Halbrook Family said:

If I shoot it straight down you see a shadow. I got to try and get better at my pics

Use two lights placed at 10 and 2 o'clock.

On 8/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, Halbrook Family said:

How would they have come in 1962?

You would have to ask an older nickel roll hunter this question. I was not born quite yet, much less collecting. The roll of LWC's I was given by my grandmother that were all 1957 (P) was in a plain brown wrapper which I kept. Before QA is gone, I will use his term. Malheureusement, it is in my SDB so I cannot go fetch a photo of it. I possibly have a photo of it buried in another file. Let me look...Ah, I do have it!

IMG_20190819_203755.jpg

On 8/11/2024 at 9:21 AM, Halbrook Family said:

This could be a big win couldn't it? The ender you can see parts of 3 steps. Lem E has one that is 67+ It says it's worth over $4000. 

Sell the roll or open it?  The person who saved it died in 1991. 

This roll has been opened and searched, you can tell from the ends, anything good has been removed and replaced with something expendable.   It is always possible that the person that searched it was only searching for high grade coins so if there are any important varieties for this year (which I doubt) that might be a possibility.   Coin dealers are very good at opening rolls and then reclosing them so they look untouched.

When I return rolls to the bank, they cannot believe i have already looked at the coins inside. I even have to mark the rolls, so I don't get ones I have already looked at when I do the exchange.

Rollup.jpg

On 8/11/2024 at 8:11 PM, Coinbuf said:

This roll has been opened and searched, you can tell from the ends, anything good has been removed and replaced with something expendable.   It is always possible that the person that searched it was only searching for high grade coins so if there are any important varieties for this year (which I doubt) that might be a possibility.   Coin dealers are very good at opening rolls and then reclosing them so they look untouched.

I didn't get it from a dealer. I bought someone's collection that had died and his son was selling it. I did see a few 1964 Quarter rolls at a dealers shop the other day though. Not sure how that one would be but I think there was a million of those saved I would think. 

On 8/11/2024 at 7:56 PM, powermad5000 said:

You would have to ask an older nickel roll hunter this question. I was not born quite yet, much less collecting. The roll of LWC's I was given by my grandmother that were all 1957 (P) was in a plain brown wrapper which I kept. Before QA is gone, I will use his term. Malheureusement, it is in my SDB so I cannot go fetch a photo of it. I possibly have a photo of it buried in another file. Let me look...Ah, I do have it!

IMG_20190819_203755.jpg

Wow that is pretty cool. This is your roll? Do you have other rolls of coins? I see those rolls for sale on eBay that have the coin description on the outside of the paper. Do those come from bank or mint?  

On 8/12/2024 at 3:00 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I didn't get it from a dealer. I bought someone's collection that had died and his son was selling it. I did see a few 1964 Quarter rolls at a dealers shop the other day though. Not sure how that one would be but I think there was a million of those saved I would think. 

Doesn't make any difference where you bought it from, the point is that unless you got the roll from the bank yourself and stored it away that is the only way you can know if a roll has never been searched.   I'm not calling the son a liar but he may not really know where his dad got the roll from and may be assuming the father got the roll from the bank originally.    The ends of that roll 100% have the look of having been opened at some time, by who and for what reason only the person that opened it knows.   Look at the ends of the roll posted by @powermad5000 and JPM, look at how tight those ends are, then look at the ends of your roll and how loose it is.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/12/2024 at 3:08 PM, Coinbuf said:

Doesn't make any difference where you bought it from, the point is that unless you got the roll from the bank yourself and stored it away that is the only way you can know if a roll has never been searched.   I'm not calling the son a liar but he may not really know where his dad got the roll from and may be assuming the father got the roll from the bank originally.    The ends of that roll 100% have the look of having been opened at some time, by who and for what reason only the person that opened it knows.

I rolled down one side to see the date but I couldn't. How did 1968S nickel come out? Only in the proof set? 

On 8/12/2024 at 3:12 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I rolled down one side to see the date but I couldn't. How did 1968S nickel come out? Only in the proof set? 

Sorry got sidetracked, I was not buying coins in 68 as I was too young, however, 1968-S nickels were struck in both MS and Proof.   So while all the proof versions would have been distributed via proof sets, I am not sure how the MS coins were sold.   Perhaps @Sandon or @powermad5000 might know.

Edited by Coinbuf

The San Francisco mint facility (then designated an assay office) mass produced cents for circulation from 1968 to 1974 and nickels for circulation from 1968 to 1970. Mintages for circulation and proof strikes are set forth in the Red Book. For the 1968-S nickels there were 100,396,004 circulation strikes and 3,041,506 proofs, the latter for proof sets only.  As the Philadelphia mint did not produce nickels in 1968, 69, or 70, it appears that the circulation strike "S" mint nickels were distributed around the country, including on the east coast, where I found quite a few of them in the 1970s and '80s. (The "D" mint coins from those years were more frequently encountered, however.)

On 8/12/2024 at 5:08 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Wow that is pretty cool. This is your roll? Do you have other rolls of coins? I see those rolls for sale on eBay that have the coin description on the outside of the paper. Do those come from bank or mint?

That is the paper from the roll my grandmother gave me when I first started collecting. She worked at Bell Savings Bank in Chicago as a teller. It was a full roll of all 1957 (P) LWC's in RD choice BU. I submitted two with a best grade of MS 65 RD on both and the rest of the roll is now in a plastic Whitman tube. I don't have any other rolls. I "got out of the roll biz" so to speak. She must have got the roll directly from the Federal Reserve Bank in Chicago as is stamped on the roll. Here is one from the roll. The other slab I gave to my brother.

IMG_20170615_194340.jpg

On 8/15/2024 at 10:19 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I opened them. The front of the coins look very nice. some have steps but none have all the steps

Pretty much what would be expected for nickels of the early portion of this decade.

On 8/15/2024 at 10:31 PM, Halbrook Family said:

DSC03081.JPG

DSC03084.JPG

Are the rest of the coins in the roll dark like these? 

On 8/16/2024 at 12:03 AM, Lem E said:

Are the rest of the coins in the roll dark like these? 

I denote inadequate or poor lighting in the photos so I am assuming these look normal but we can wait to hear from the OP.

The photos look great. I think it looks like the coloring on the coins was from the paper roll. Like I said before, finding any FS 1960 - 70 coins is a God sent.