• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these error coins worth the cost of grading?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2024 at 7:22 PM, Mike Strand said:

I finally got my new purchases here.  So these are also not the greatest photos, but better with my Canon D5 with 19" ring light and 10x macro lens with two tripods.  This is a bugger getting the camera perfectly in the same plane as the coin.  The front must be totally worn out because I can't get much contrast.  The second reverse photo, I put my hand on the left side to block some of the ring light.  Fortunately these are mostly full size images with 97% compression, so you should be able to zoom in better than my previous photos.  Do you have any tips for me to make this easier and if they are close to what they should be?

Canada Obverse.JPG

Canada Reverse 1.JPG

Canada Reverse 2.JPG

Is this the coin Greenstang told you was a counterfeit.?  

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2024 at 6:55 PM, J P M said:

Is this the coin Greenstang told you was a counterfeit.?  

yes.  Just trying to take better photos to learn how to take better photos....  As I mentioned, my brother in law was pretty sure he found it in the 1970's when he was a kid going through pocket change.

Edited by Mike Strand
reminder of history

I have no problems taking photos with my cell phone and properly cropping them to get them to come out good enough. One of our photography experts on here would have to read this and advise as it seems the outer portion of the coin towards the rim is blurry as to me it seems the focus part was on the direct center of the coin. Maybe this could be alleviated by moving the camera a little further away from the coin??

There is a section on the forums here called Testing 1,2,3...   In this section of the forum, you can make a thread and post as as many pics as you want until you see the right results on the screen when you are done.