• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984-P Jefferson Nickel with Dye Crack
1 1

6 posts in this topic

It is hard to see. If it is a raised line, I would say yes it is a nice crack. There are some who would pay a marginal price for a coin like that. I checked here. Bisecting Rim to Rim Die Cracks on U. S. Coins : Cuds on Coins (cuds-on-coins.com) to see if that is in the list but did not see it. 

It looks like a deep scratch from photo supplied.  A crack would not go over the preformed rim. Vaue 5 cents.

In the future, please crop and rotate your photos so we are not seeing all that background

Edited by Greenstang

I would need full, cropped photos of both sides of this coin as well as a closeup of the rim where the the crack extends out to be able to make any assessment of it.

I can't make a guess from the supplied photo. I see more of your hand than I do of the coin.

Edit note : dye is used for cloth. A die is used to make coins.

Edited by powermad5000

Doesn’t look like a die crack to me. Kinda looks like the rim got pushed over. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

From the images provided, it isn't clear whether your 1984-P nickel has die cracks or damage. Can you provide cropped, clear images of this coin that look like this?

1942-Snickelobv..thumb.jpg.16440acc1bc9c3411774217188cddb24.jpg

1942-Snickelrev..thumb.jpg.a7a14c2e20533bbd5cc4ab0101b06fe3.jpg

This 1942-S wartime composition piece has a thin, bisecting die crack from the "S" in "PLURIBUS" to the second "S" in "STATES".