• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a coin I'm trying to identify error
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Seriously? Out of all the usernames you could have picked, that's the one you chose? 

It will be very helpful if you will point out what you think is an error on this coin, and it would also be helpful if you posted clear pictures of the obverse and reverse of the coin. Sometimes there are identifying marks on other parts of the coin that help with the diagnosis.

If you're referring to the weakness in the letters and the numerals, that could be from a partially greased-filled die, or it could simply be a die that had been used past its useful life.

Welcome to the Forum

Do not use screen shots, they are too pixilated. As Just Bob stated, a clear photo of both
sides should be automatic when posting along with an explanation of your question.

( I wish NGC would be like the CCF forum and anyone who uses screen shots has the post
locked until proper photos are produced. )

This appears to be a normal, circulated 1998-P dime, perhaps struck from a worn or slightly filled obverse die, which are common characteristics and regarded as quality control issues, not mint errors. What characteristics of this coin did you think constitute a mint error?

If you are under the impression that it is at all common to find significant mint errors or other valuable coins in pocket change, please read the following recent article by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the more normal picture although in the future you should crop the photo before posting it as we don't need to see the table it is laying on.

I am a little confused as to what you think might be an error on this dime as I see a well circulated dime with maybe a little weakness in the lettering of the motto near the rim, but that is a normal situation found on very many dimes and is nothing out of the ordinary. I would say in this case it is just from a late stage set of dies as there seems to be a little weakness in some reverse lettering as well. The Mint frequently uses dies past their useful life when striking billions of coins.

Na, I don't think any pictures will help this coin more. It is a spender

On 8/8/2024 at 1:39 PM, Ar.maks.u.wet said:

The weakness in the in and the we also in 98 but not only that but the p is oddly pressed

I explained the weakness in the lettering which also applies to the date numerals. As for the mintmark, I also do not see anything out of the ordinary with it. It may look "different" or "stronger" depending on if a mint employee actually touched up that area during die maintenance and let the rest roll so to speak.

The correct terminology is struck, not pressed by the way.

Thank u so this a common error not worth nun thanks for you time and knowledge 

It is not an error, it is just part of the minting process. If you are looking for errors, suggest you learn how coins are struck and what an actual error is. This will save you time looking at minor anomolies that have no value . Their is a good thread pinned at the top of this forum that has all the info you need. Study before you look at more coins, you will save yourself wasted time.