• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1918 SLQ With Gold and Lamination Issues.
1 1

12 posts in this topic

This SLQ clearly has a lamination issue,  but what I cannot figure out is the almost 14k gold looking parts on the reverse of it in various places. Has anyone seen this before or have seen toning this vibrant gold? The gold color is in various spots of dings and scratches. 

20240803_175345.jpg

20240803_175440.jpg

Edited by Numisdoclaw

Can't see any gold from photo supplied, it all looks one colour but whatever it is   

it didn't look like that when the coin was struck so it would be considered PMD.

Based on the photos, this 1918 Standing Liberty quarter doesn't appear to have any planchet laminations. It does appear to have been "cleaned" and to have glue or tape residue on the reverse, which would account for the amber color. However, it is unlikely that NGC would have encapsulated the coin with such residue without subjecting it to "conservation" first.

What is the grade on the holder?

Q.A.: :  I've got two questions of my own....

🐓  :  Too late, Q!  Sandon beat you to the punch.  He noted it was encapsulated (I have a sneaky suspicion by whom) and inquires as to the grade.  If not submitted by the OP, I would like to know when it was holdered. (Some say that can not be determined due to the manner Submission numbers are distributed.)

if what Sandon conjectures is true as regarding alleged "cleaning" and residue left by tape, if in fact, conservation had been undertaken, why would mystery "gold-colored" mascara be left?

Anyway, many enquiring minds would like to know.

It looks like aftermarket holder?  It does look like scotch tape residue on the coin

I also do not see any lamination issue.  Something was added to the surface of this coin, and then later removed or only partially removed. What it was, I am not sure from the photos. Maybe some acetone would help in this situation.

Ok. First thing,  I did not say it was encapsulated by any grading service.  That is a slab of my own. The "tape" you see is not.  That is physical difference in the metal of the planchet. The gold color resides in what appears to be scratches. 

On 8/4/2024 at 8:04 PM, Numisdoclaw said:

Ok. First thing,  I did not say it was encapsulated by any grading service.  That is a slab of my own. The "tape" you see is not.  That is physical difference in the metal of the planchet. The gold color resides in what appears to be scratches. 

What you have is a coin with glue residue on it, the yellow or gold is where the glue aged and changed color.   The coin itself is a common date, low grade cleaned example, its value is in the silver value of around $8 or so depending on silver spot.

Edited by Coinbuf

So, you have a half dozen members with a combined total of more than 200 years of experience saying it looks like glue residue. It would be an easy way to find out just by removing the coin from the holder and soaking it in some acetone to see if the glue comes off. Many collectors in the past would tape their coins into folders or cardboard for displays it was very common. No one is trying to be disrespectful here we are just giving you honest answers. I can see you have been a member since 2018 you must have seen some of the coins posted here with the same characteristics as your coin in the forum. 

Edited by J P M

I don't think anyone is being disrespectful. Don't know how that was gathered from my message. I am trying to convey as best as possible it isn't glue. My photos are not good enough to properly display what I'm seeing. My apologies. Over the past few days,  I have discovered that what we are seeing is gold plating. The coin was gold plated at some point,  and then cleaned.  The gold didn't get cleaned away that was in the deeper scratches.  So thank you all that responded. 

On 8/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, Numisdoclaw said:

I have discovered that what we are seeing is gold plating. The coin was gold plated at some point,  and then cleaned.  The gold didn't get cleaned away that was in the deeper scratches.  So thank you all that responded. 

I can't agree with that. It looks nothing like a coin that was once gold plated.