• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Error Coin
1 1

10 posts in this topic

We see so many coins that people want to call error coins. Well, most are not errors, just damage. I personally roll hunt all the time looking for coins to fill coin folders and because I enjoy it. Over the years I have found some very cool coins but no coins that the so called click bait sites say are everywhere to be found. In reality in 60 years, there may be five variety coins that I have found in change or rolls that are barely worth keeping.

I have some nice shots for you to look at, this is what I call an error coin.

Here is a link to this type of coin. Fissures: Ragged & Smooth (error-ref.com)

S20240802_0001.jpg

S20240802_0002.jpg

S20240802_0004.jpg

S20240802_0003.jpg

S20240802_0005.jpg

S20240802_0006.jpg

S20240802_0007.jpg

S20240802_0008.jpg

On 8/2/2024 at 9:13 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

That’s awesome JPM! I’ve never seen on quite like it, are you going to submit that one?

I may some day. I don't think NGC would put it in a holder, but I think ANACS may slab this error

Hi J P!  Just your luck Danny Downer would show up!  Didjuh really think you'd be able to sneak this by me?  

First order of business is to make sure @VKurtB doesn't see this.  He has an aversion to the use of unlawful and illegal magnification, although I must say in your favor, the photos are truly magnificent!

The problem as I see it (here comes the joke) is if the place settings were set properly at the dinner table, this would not have happened.  Seriously, you do not state when you acquired (or accidentally tried to ingest this piece much to the embarrassment of your high society, Social Register-type guests, but what makes you think this is an ERROR which, as you are painfully aware of, is well beyond the well-defined (at least in my mind) time-barred by the State of Limitations for coins minted 25 years ago, or more?

Besides, you don't think I can  get any of the feral youth infesting the streets of my neighborhood day and nite to procure an instrument or gain access to a device that can reproduce the damage depicted here for two squares (street slang for cigarettes)?  And, if not, can you provide a reasonable explanation for how this DAMAGE, excuse me, ERROR, occurred and, perhaps more importantly, how this grossly misshapen "coin" was funneled from a FRB bag into a box of rolled coins, without notice?

Edited by Henri Charriere
Typo

On 8/2/2024 at 8:28 PM, J P M said:

I may some day. I don't think NGC would put it in a holder

NGC will definitely holder that. I lost an auction for an error coin that had a lamination piece that fell off. Whoever initially obtained the coin also had the lamination that fell off the coin as well. Both pieces were put into an NGC holder and graded. They would definitely holder yours.

On 8/2/2024 at 11:18 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Hi J P!  Just your luck Danny Downer would show up!  Didjuh really think you'd be able to sneak this by me?  

First order of business is to make sure @VKurtB doesn't see this.  He has an aversion to the use of unlawful and illegal magnification, although I must say in your favor, the photos are truly magnificent!

The problem as I see it (here comes the joke) is if the place settings were set properly at the dinner table, this would not have happened.  Seriously, you do not state when you acquired (or accidentally tried to ingest this piece much to the embarrassment of your high society, Social Register-type guests, but what makes you think this is an ERROR which, as you are painfully aware of, is well beyond the well-defined (at least in my mind) time-barred by the State of Limitations for coins minted 25 years ago, or more?

Besides, you don't think I can  get any of the feral youth investing the streets of my neighborhood day and nite to procure an instrument or gain access to a device that can reproduce the damage depicted here for two squares (street slang for cigarettes)?  And, if not, can you provide a reasonable explanation for how this DAMAGE, excuse me, ERROR, occurred and, perhaps more importantly, how this grossly misshapen "coin" was funneled from a FRB bag into a box of rolled coins, without notice?

I understand your doubts Henri. I thank you for the compliment on the photos. I wanted everyone to see the metal inside the void.  Not everyone looks at coins the way numismatics do. This coin could have been in a change jar for 50 years. If it will help put your mind at ease, Old Hoopster and I talked about this coin and he agreed, it would be very difficult for any tool to make this kind of void. He was the one who gave me this reference. Fissures: Ragged & Smooth (error-ref.com)