• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1883 V Nickel
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This was in the world coins. It is in far better shape then any V nickels I got so far. Though I haven't really started collecting those yet.  Shame it wasn't a 1885. Any basic grade you could give it with the poor photos? VG8 or F12? A $10 nickel maybe? 

DSC02924.JPG

DSC02925.JPG

Being you can still see the individual lines in the stars on the obverse and that the wear while overall present on both sides is not what I would describe as heavy, I would say this with some professional conservation to get some of the crud out of the inside of the 8's would come in at about an AU 53. There are also rim dings on the obverse at 4 and 5 o'clock but I don't think these are heavy enough hits that would cause it to get a details grade for rim damage. Roughly a $40 coin. Excellent!

Edited by powermad5000

1883 Liberty nickels without "cents" on the reverse were saved in large quantities. Yours is nice EF. Congratulations!

I think the coin needs an acetone bath, done properly. No rubbing on the surfaces even with Q-tips.

The reverse image is tough to read but from the obverse only, It's a nice AU coin. Not something that's worth having graded.

On 7/31/2024 at 3:52 AM, J P M said:

Nice one for the collection.

All mine so far are pretty bad shape. I don't really see those much in really good shape. God mint state they go for some money huh? Anything over $60 is big money to me. 

On 7/31/2024 at 8:29 AM, ldhair said:

I think the coin needs an acetone bath, done properly. No rubbing on the surfaces even with Q-tips.

The reverse image is tough to read but from the obverse only, It's a nice AU coin. Not something that's worth having graded.

I have never done anything with acetone. What do you do anyways? This collection I got was more silver content then anything. Buying a collection you hope for the best and the least is you paid under melt. Some very black Ben Franklins and worn walkers. But that is by far the best V Nickel in my collection. 

On 7/31/2024 at 9:52 PM, Halbrook Family said:

I don't really see those much in really good shape.

Actually just picking out a few random non key dates of these and looking in Coin Explorer, seems the average grade for those submitted is MS 64. My best of these is MS 65. I have a few others in MS 63.

Edited by powermad5000

Finally a near consensus on surface preservation rendered by true collectors I can agree on.

Not sure what you saw that prompted you to low-ball your coin, but those with experience have weighed in. A little difficult to get a good idea of where "E PLURIBUS UNUM" stands but the well-defined stars and denticles suggest a nice strike with acceptable wear.  It may not be a Mint State and I assume you need an 1885, but if there is an appreciable difference in recorded mintages for graded examples between CENTS and NO CENTS, don't squander the moment with purists.

If a private mint feels there is nothing wrong in electroplating gold on the NO CENTS, I cannot see why you cannot do likewise as long as you do not misrepresent the denomination of the coin.  Then again, having avoid meteor showers in its 140+ year existence, it may be best to leave things well enough alone.

This is a truly special find with an incredible state of preservation!  (thumbsu

Yeah I would not do anything with it cept add to my collection. It was a great free coin. I think he thought it was a foreign coin. It's by far the best V nickel in my collection. This is probably one of my typical V nickels. Looks like it was cleaned with a wire brush. 

DSC02959.JPG

DSC02960.JPG