• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking lot find

38 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2024 at 9:24 AM, LOCK34 said:

I am calling BS. Why would the mint put coins in the parking lot???

'Cause the freezer was filled with horse heads, silly. (Anyway, paving with cents might actuality be cheaper than using asphalt !)

I'm glad I posted this. It's nice to have a thread that gives some laughs!  xD   :roflmao:

It's been a little serious around here lately.

Keep the jokes coming! xD

I also think I am going to do my best conservation effort and return with the results.

On 7/25/2024 at 8:24 AM, LOCK34 said:

I am calling BS. Why would the mint put coins in the parking lot???

I saw a video on You Tube and the guy was saying how this was something the Mint has been doing for awhile.

On 7/25/2024 at 7:16 AM, RonnieR131 said:

Mine has the same die markers on the reverse.

I don't know, I think I have a new undiscovered variety on mine.

On 7/25/2024 at 6:30 AM, RWB said:

That might be the only 1909-S VDB cent struck with the memorial reverse.

On top of that, I think it has doubled dies.

On 7/25/2024 at 1:51 PM, powermad5000 said:

On top of that, I think it has doubled dies.

I've heard there's a new vaccine for that....! But some say that laundry bleach will work, too.

Edited by RWB

On 7/25/2024 at 10:12 PM, Rod D. said:

Can these cents even be spent at face value?

I would think I will need to perform some basic conservation to make mine somewhat better, but as long as a merchant will accept such a coin, then yes.

Technically, one can still make out it is a Lincoln cent, so therefore it is still legal tender. Well beyond dumpster fire and into statewide wildfire territory, but still a cent.

You really should contact the Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection. They might be able to purchased these unique historical artifacts and make them the center of a completely new and exciting display. (I can see the hourly reenactment of your find -- A lonely WaWa or 7-11 off a rural byway; the dented cars with bald tires, the spilled stale coffee, the odor of fried road kill. An astute numismatist, magnifying glass in hand, deer slayer hat protecting from a cruel winter wind, searching for an elusive legendary coin amid the gritty, cracked asphalt parking lot. The find! The jubilation! Stale donuts for all!)

Edited by RWB

J P M - I see you read JKK's thread at the top, 'Things To Know Before... ', that's a good start, and thanks for rotating your pics properly. I can easily see it is the much desired and sought after small date. You might consider holding off for a while before submitting your jewel for grading. Turnaround times are lengthy now because they are absolutely overwhelmed with error coins. Resist your urge and have patience. ---- Whoever thought that the 'body bag' business would one day be a multimillion-dollar industry? Lol (A statement, not a question).

Edited by RonnieR131

On 7/26/2024 at 1:01 PM, RonnieR131 said:

J P M - I see you read JKK's thread at the top, 'Things To Know Before... ', that's a good start, and thanks for rotating your pics properly. I can easily see it is the much desired and sought after small date. You might consider holding off for  awhile before submitting your jewel for grading. Turnaround times are lengthy now because they are absolutely overwhelmed with error coins. Resist your urge and have patience. ---- Whoever thought that the 'body bag' business would one day be a multimillion-dollar industry?   

Thanks Ron although my coin is not quite as nice as the one powermad5000 posted, it does have a nice spoke wheel effect in the bright sun light. It shows up much better in hand you just have to be careful not to cut your fingers on it. 

On 7/26/2024 at 3:52 PM, RWB said:

That is the cartwheel luster on it.

No, there are so many marks it is like a spoke wheel. Come on you guys, get with the terminology if your gone make money on this stuff.

I'm worried that the sorts of "new collectors" who post on this forum won't realize that this topic is meant to be facetious and will actually think that the coins posted here really are rare and valuable mint errors that happened to be found in parking lots!  After all, we've actually had a number of topics making such contentions about similar pieces.

On 7/26/2024 at 4:58 PM, Sandon said:

I'm worried that the sorts of "new collectors" who post on this forum won't realize that this topic is meant to be facetious and will actually think that the coins posted here really are rare and valuable mint errors that happened to be found in parking lots!  After all, we've actually had a number of topics making such contentions about similar pieces.

I'll edit the top post and add a note. I will just say if you read down the thread and cannot figure out this post turned into nothing but humor and sarcasm, you need to go back under the rock you came out from and never come back out.

I just toured the Denver Mint a few weeks ago and they have only a very tiny parking lot. Philly has the Philadelphia Parking Authority underground lot under Independence Mall. 

On 7/26/2024 at 11:46 PM, VKurtB said:

I just toured the Denver Mint a few weeks ago and they have only a very tiny parking lot. Philly has the Philadelphia Parking Authority underground lot under Independence Mall.

And Rosemont has a parking garage.

On 7/26/2024 at 9:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Do they sell anything at the mint you can not find anywhere else? I like the souvenir packs though I won't pay much for them. I kind of think they should do a special coin each year for visitors. A special variety.