• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984 D Penny struck through errors?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Are these struck through errors? 

1984 1c.jpg

50B5194A-1B3A-425C-9F63-05DBFB18FC22.jpeg

1461E7C0-8DD7-462A-B045-FEC6BFC25CE1.jpeg

C7C43C7B-0298-47A5-9B87-A28E68AED9CF.jpeg

645B2CDE-D838-4680-95A7-03506C128984.jpeg

Edited by Kcmed
Added more pictures

Welcome. The photo is not the best, but it looks like plating blisters around the mint mark.

Please do not use screen shots, they are too pixlated. also try to show the right colour, this can sometimes be important To answer your question, that  is a zinc bubble. Once it breaks, your cent will start  to rot. Get rid of it know.

Seeing you added pictures, and changed your question,I will add a further comment, the whole coin is suffering from zinc rot. If it is a struck through, what do you think it could possibly  have been struck through then.

Edited by Greenstang
Added info

Put the scope down!

I think under normal lighting and magnification, that you have a combination of plating blisters, split plate around the mintmark, and damage from hits. The headshot on Abe has a raised ridge around it which is indicative of the metal being pushed up around the sides of a hit. Looks like John Wilkes Booth was taking potshots at Abe and finally got him in the back of the head. xD

This Topic and thread only confirms what I have strongly suspected all along.

I am not cut out for what was once known as the hobby of coin collecting, where fathers came home, shared their daily finds with their children, filled their modest collection of blue Whitman albums and checked their Red Books to find out if certain key dates and mm's showed up.  No one I knew in my teen years was preoccupied with value.  We were only interested in how much money they would need to complete a series before moving on to the next album. Some of us, pursued multiple albums simultaneously.  This was easy to do since most of what we collected came from change. It was interesting to find coins we only saw in the Red Books, lining the walls of small coin shops.  I believe many turned to coins which immediately preceded theirs: IHCs, BH nickels, Mercs, Walker halves and old Morgan/Peace dollars.  I don't believe I ever found anything older although others had.

A.S. (After silver was removed from circulation 1965,and thereafter) the hobby's cutthroat element began to make their presence known. Speculators moved in followed quickly by Investors. The "hobby" changed and with it, the atmosphere. They bought every coin they felt would appreciate meteorically and committed their funds, accordingly.

I am frankly shocked by the offerings I see for sale and the monstrosities perfectly normal people truly believe enhances a coin's value. I identify most with those who taught me the importance of "quality" over "quantity."  There was no rush to complete the finest compilations in the world and their patience paid off.  My approach is best expressed here, paraphrased for effect:  When I have money, I buy gold Roosters; and if I have any left beyond the rent, No, I don't buy books, food or clothes.  What I really want to to do is get a spinning wheel and make my own clothes. Preferably white.  When I am criticized for my lifestyle I ask the critics how much their smoking, drinking and drug habits cost -- and the return they realize, conservatively, on their investments.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor die polishing