• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019w Quarter pulled from roll hunt, reverse doubling is clear. . .be it worthless or not. . .
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Found this poor soul in quarter roll.  Ugly it may be, but the doubling on the lower reverse is a sight to see...

Does worthless doubling get that severe?

image.thumb.png.fda9cf41c764673541eda3f09e18d8eb.png

image.png.a40080a2df26542acff538ef33a25145.png

image.thumb.png.c30dd898216d56dba800939915919642.png

While well within my proposed Statute of Limitations for consideration of possible errors and varieties, I am constrained to break with my learned brethren when it comes to assessing a coin's state of surface preservation.  I am afraid all the W's in the world cannot salvage must less supersede an overall condition the OP himself candidly concedes is a "poor.... ugly.... soul." If the coin means that much to him, to quote a highly regarded source, he is certainly entitled to collect it, [and similar examples].

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing.

On 7/22/2024 at 6:02 PM, Numisdoclaw said:

It being a W makes it worth a little something 

The "X"  "Y" and "Z" are worth even a little more something. ;)

On 7/22/2024 at 9:35 PM, RWB said:

The "X"  "Y" and "Z" are worth even a little more something

YYZ [Those who know will know]

I digress...

I have seen die erosion doubling much "worse" than this. The correct use of language here would be "I have seen cases more pronounced than this."

I guess it really all depends on how much abuse the Mint wants to put the set of dies through.

I believe coins minted for circulation serve a utilitarian function as opposed to Proof coins struck for collectors.  I regard coin collecting as a construct, or surrogate activity.  What a person chooses to collect and their coin collecting strategy reveals a great deal about them.

On 7/22/2024 at 10:45 PM, Henri Charriere said:

What a person chooses to collect and their coin collecting strategy reveals a great deal about them.

While parts of my collection may make some sense, the rest of it is very scattered and makes absolutely no sense to anybody but me. I wonder what that then says about me as a person. LOL! xD

On 7/23/2024 at 4:31 AM, LOCK34 said:

The intro bass line is morse code for "Y" "Y" "Z"

I need to look into this.

On 7/23/2024 at 4:31 AM, LOCK34 said:

The intro bass line is morse code for "Y" "Y" "Z"

On 7/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Tis true, also the IATA code for the Toronto airport.

Did not know. Mind just blown. Thanks guys! (worship)