• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 1

126 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2024 at 9:47 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

He said he would have been a seller...a RELUCTANT seller.

Consider this....if he got the $30 MM, it would have represented an annualized 15% a year for the time EC held the coin.  That is one of the highest CAGR for a return on investment for any trophy coin that I can recall, outside of someone flipping a coin to the real buyer for a nice profit in a very short period of time.

Yah, aside from my excruciatingly slow flip of a 1995 gold plus silver AGE/ASE proof set. I paid $999 from the mint, immediately sold off the gold for meltish $730, had $269 invested in the 1995-W ASE, and sold it for $4,000 in 2005. That still is my best move ever. My now wife had me sell it to raise moving funds, back when she was my then wife, with a lengthy hiatus in between. 

On 10/1/2024 at 10:20 AM, RWB said:

This and other such shows are merely "eye-bait" to support advertising. Truth, accuracy, reality and not part of the scripts.

(But maybe those are nearly as limited as in numismatic ignorance and greed?)   ;)

Just imagine if they were to engage in full transparent honesty:

“We here at Pawn Stars are dedicated to misleading the ignorant, the naive, and the gullible to enrich, mostly, ourselves, and to perhaps by accident interest two or three of you m-o-r-o-n-s out there to become interested in rare coins. Mr. Garrett is being paid for his ‘role’ in our little fantasy. He is extraordinarily seldom in Las Vegas and is busy running a successful business in Kentucky. Likewise, both Mr. Russell, AND the owner of the 1933 double eagle are being paid for their participation in this thinly veiled ruse. And as anyone who has met him can attest, Mr. Harrison is an obnoxious (the thing that a rose thorn does to your finger). We are a scripted television program, and not a documentary of unexpected results. He hire WRITERS to do this show and then call up people we know to cast the roles the writers have written. Just like ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING IN LAS VEGAS, it is complete 🐃💩. Now go get a life, okay?”

Yes, I have met Mr. Harrison in person.

Edited by VKurtB

Honesty and transparency on television???  Take it for what it really is - a diversion from the mundane. Just like the circus - it gets bigger year. Well, maybe not anymore - the clowns are racist don’t ya know. :baiting:

On 10/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, Zebo said:

Honesty and transparency on television???  Take it for what it really is - a diversion from the mundane. Just like the circus - it gets bigger year. Well, maybe not anymore - the clowns are racist don’t ya know. :baiting:

Seems everybody else gets their own networks…

On 10/1/2024 at 2:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

There is some educational history in Pawn Stars.  And I think you're NOT going to get ripped off like some of these coinfomercials I see airing on the weekends. :o

Wait! What? You tellin’ me you don’t think that Rick Tomaska has only your best interests uppermost in his mind? I remind you that Rick was once primarily known for his research and book authorship. Roger needs to be careful of that swirling vortex nearby. He could get consumed by the black hole of TV as well. Don’t ya think?

On 10/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, VKurtB said:

Wait! What? You tellin’ me you don’t think that Rick Tomaska has only your best interests uppermost in his mind? I remind you that Rick was once primarily known for his research and book authorship. Roger needs to be careful of that swirling vortex nearby. He could get consumed by the black hole of TV as well. Don’t ya think?

Roger has never advocated selling coins at 30-40% above FMV.xD

He hasn't even plugged his own book which I think is WELL WORTH the cost....assuming you can find it.  If HA gets more in or the publisher re-releases (hopefully RWB does a 2nd Edition), I will GLADLY buy another one (updated or not). (thumbsu

On 10/1/2024 at 4:06 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Roger has never advocated selling coins at 30-40% above FMV.xD

He hasn't even plugged his own book which I think is WELL WORTH the cost....assuming you can find it.  If HA gets more in or the publisher re-releases (hopefully RWB does a 2nd Edition), I will GLADLY buy another one (updated or not). (thumbsu

30-40% above? When was it THAT low?!?! You have to be more specific about RWB’s books. I think you’re missing the best one - on the proofs of 1936-1942. It is a perfect complement to Rick Tomaska’s one on the Cameo Proofs of 1950-1970, with emphasis on the halves. 

By the way, ALL TV advertised coins HAVE TO BE grossly overpriced. Television time is EXTREMELY expensive, and the buyer must pay for it. Can you imagine what U.S. Mint prices would be if they sold on TV!?!?

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/1/2024 at 12:42 PM, Zebo said:

Mundane providing a diversion from mundane? No thanks. I have Spectrum Cable. 300 channels and nothing on.

On 10/1/2024 at 5:28 PM, VKurtB said:

Mundane providing a diversion from mundane? No thanks. I have Spectrum Cable. 300 channels and nothing on.

Hollywood is putting out complete garbage these days. 300 channels or a thousand - good luck finding anything of substance. There are a few exceptions, but not many!

On 10/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, Zebo said:

Hollywood is putting out complete garbage these days. 300 channels or a thousand - good luck finding anything of substance. There are a few exceptions, but not many!

I just checked out the channels on Samsung TV this weekend. Different… but not noticeably better. At least Pluto TV has classic Mission: Impossible reruns. Barbara Bain as Cinnamon was a 1960’s smoke show. She’s still alive, age 93. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/1/2024 at 8:00 PM, VKurtB said:

I just checked out the channels on Samsung TV this weekend. Different… but not noticeably better. At least Pluto TV has classic Mission: Impossible reruns. Barbara Bain as Cinnamon was a 1960’s smoke show. She’s still alive, age 93. 

You should time one of the episodes to see how much they've taken out.  I would expect that an original airing of MI in the 1960's was about 50-51 minutes from start to ending credits.  Wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 45 minutes today.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:15 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You should time one of the episodes to see how much they've taken out.  I would expect that an original airing of MI in the 1960's was about 50-51 minutes from start to ending credits.  Wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 45 minutes today.

If the airtime were shorter, they'd throw in a bunch of commercials.  If the airtime were longer they'd do what they've always done to 60 Minutes:  when whatever game pre-empted it ends, say 37 minutes into the broadcast, they'd pick-up 37 minutes into the broadcast "already in progress."  🤣

On 10/2/2024 at 3:35 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If the airtime were shorter, they'd throw in a bunch of commercials.  If the airtime were longer they'd do what they've always done to 60 Minutes:  when whatever game pre-empted it ends, say 37 minutes into the broadcast, they'd pick-up 37 minutes into the broadcast "already in progress."  🤣

I'm talking about how they cut out less-important parts to squeeze in more commercials for stuff in reruns and even original airings. 

Today, original hour-long shows last about 43 minutes (when broadcast on a network in an hour-long time block).  They used to be 50-plus 40-50 years ago.  Those shows from years-ago get cut down in re-runs from anywhere from 43-46 minutes, depending.

I first noticed how editing was different when I saw original "Star Trek" episodes on the NYC TV stations...and then watched them on Upstate NY stations and they were edited differently.  The NYC airings cut more because they needed to sell more commercials. :o

Edited by GoldFinger1969

PBS and BBC don't edit for commercials. They edit for content and story-line much as the original production or a movie were edited.

On 10/2/2024 at 1:15 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

There are VERY limited ads on Pluto TV, which I get on my Apple TV box. Most ads are for other Pluto TV channels.

On 10/6/2024 at 6:09 AM, Henri Charriere said:

This is likely going to be one of my all-time favorite posts!  Thanks for posting the Topic, Zebo!  And many thanks to E.C. for making it all happen!

That's very cool, but I have seen the piece before, in person. I was there when it was sold in New York. I consider the ask of $30 million plus not a serious ask. EC got it for $19 million not that long ago, numismatically speaking. The $25 million offer seems a little high too. I believe the entire attempt to sell this coin was a sham. Positive appreciation is not guaranteed. Prices can, and do, go down too. I've also seen, in person, 11 other 1933 double eagles. I go places. I see things.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/6/2024 at 12:21 PM, EliteCollection said:

The $30M is a serious ask. I may not even sell it for $30M and definitely won't sell it for anything less than $30M. The $25M offer is not high at all. After 2021 auction, I learned that there were a couple of people that wanted to bid more but didn't have the liquidity at the time. And since the auction, I have turned down an offer of $20M+. That said, this has nothing to do with whether there is positive appreciation or the current value of the coin though, as no deal has been made.

This coin is El Numero Uno, of course. But if you examine the prices realized of the Top 100 coins, subsequent sales OFTEN get lower prices than previous ones. Why do you feel you are immune from this possibility? Want to know what it's worth? Put it up for auction with no reserve price.

On 10/6/2024 at 2:26 PM, Zebo said:

In any event - it was entertaining to see the segment and who knows what it may or whom it might inspire. 

Yes, maybe people will be checking their pocket change for a second one. :roflmao:My point is, as we have seen time after time after time here on this very discussion board, that exposure of new people to extreme rarities very seldom does ANYONE any good. All it seems to accomplish is encouraging people to engage in magical thinking.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/6/2024 at 4:04 PM, VKurtB said:

.... All it seems to accomplish is encouraging people to engage in magical thinking.

Maybe, maybe not. The only magical thinking is the possibility for those interested in acquiring one of the greatest works of art which hitherto was unavailable.  The point is its owner creatively thought outside the box and is not as interested in putting on a spectacle or extravaganza for show, as he is in getting a feel for the waters and seeing if there are any principals out there who appreciate one of the finest things in life.  Perfectly honorable considering he has waited a respectable interval. Think about it, with the use of this platform, notice is served that you too can be the proud new owner of a unique treasure with a storied past which also happens to be the most valuable coin in the world.  (thumbsu