• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

41 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2024 at 3:21 PM, VKurtB said:

Looks like a nice Abafil case in the background. 

If they can afford the coin, they can certainly afford a nice case.

I don't get it.  Something is missing here.  I did not expect to see this coin again in my lifetime.  Someone apparently suffered a reversal of fortune. You don't go to Rick's pawnshop with something like this. I want to know where @GoldFinger1969 stands on this!

This is a tremendous loss.  How much does the former owner expect to get? I know Rick is going to low-ball his offer undoing in minutes, years of potential earnings potential. Who wins here?

I demand an explanation!!!

What's up, @Zebo ?

Is this a gag?  How come this wasn't in the news.  Was I punked?  Man, you got me good.

There's much more to this... but what?

Tell you all what, if Zebo dunked me, but good, I will go on record and publicly grant @The Neophyte Numismatist 's wish:  I will leave the premises immediately.

Not on my wife's birthday!  Not on the Fourth!  Now. Right Now!

Nay or Aye, I'm Outta here!!!

On 7/17/2024 at 4:41 PM, Coinbuf said:

Who is they?  And how are "they" rolling the dice?

The principals...

The owner, or owners;

Obviously, Rick, of his designee representing the pawnshop interests;

Lawyers, accountants, bankers, etc.; 

The IRS;

Whomever would be inevitably involved just like winning a large jackpot.

Whether anonymity applies would depend on where the transaction is effected.

This is big news but the bigger news is WHY?

WHO EXPECTED TO SEE THIS SO SOON AFTER THE LAST AUCTION?

Bottom line: catastrophic losses are in the offing, unless... Zebo punked us.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing; additional cooment.

It’s. A. TV. Show.  It has -script writers. Does ANYBODY WITH HALF A BRAIN believe this coin just happened to walk in? Come on, people! You’re supposed to be smarter than that. This series is NOT A DOCUMENTARY. It is a scripted TV show. So much gullibility!

Edited by VKurtB

May as well watch Skinwalker Ranch. At least that guy’s a Huntsville, Alabama sourced m-o-r-o-n.

On 7/17/2024 at 9:19 PM, Zebo said:

I knew that this would be fun!  

Shame on you, @Zebo !  Is this your quaint way of indicating I was punked in much the manner Aston Kutscher punked celebrities?  Now I am on the hook for @The Neophyte Numismatist ! To make matters worse, I publicly stated in this Forum, I always honor my word. Now I am a Dead Man Walking! You sure know how to hurt a guy!  :facepalm:

On 7/17/2024 at 9:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Shame on you, @Zebo !  Is this your quaint way of indicating I was punked in much the manner Aston Kutscher punked celebrities?  Now I am on the hook for @The Neophyte Numismatist ! To make matters worse, I publicly stated in this Forum, I always honor my word. Now I am a Dead Man Walking! You sure know how to hurt a guy!  :facepalm:

Not at all.   I would link the Pawn Stars preview, but it is too large. When it will air this season is unknown. Fun stuff, even if it is scripted.

I'm confused...someone came in with a counterfeit 1933 ?  :taptaptap:

If Rick knows anything about coins, or has access to Google, he knows there is only 1 legit coin and this is a fake, worth at much -- assuming it's actually gold -- about $2,400 based on melt value.:|

Posted (edited)

I was wondering when you would show up @goldfinger1969. I can’t see it - real or fake. It will increase Rick’s ratings, however. I might even tune in to see the farce - I am not a regular viewer, but did see the commercial for it. The question is who will be the expert that comes and authenticates it. Being in PCGS plastic, make your guess.

Edited by Zebo

On 7/18/2024 at 6:46 AM, Zebo said:

I was wondering when you would show up @goldfinger1969. I can’t see it - real or fake. It will increase Rick’s ratings, however. I might even tune in to see the farce - I am not a regular viewer, but did see the commercial for it. The question is who will be the expert that comes and authenticates it. Being in PCGS plastic, make your guess.

This is from a FUTURE unaired episode then ?  Does anybody know when it will air ?

On 7/18/2024 at 8:48 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

This is from a FUTURE unaired episode then ?  Does anybody know when it will air ?

At the least convenient time possible.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:54 AM, Zebo said:

Could the expert be —- drum roll —- David Hall or Jeff Garrett? Who else???

Yah, Jeff Garrett of Kentucky will just happen to be in Las Vegas. /eye roll

On 7/18/2024 at 11:08 AM, Zebo said:

It wouldn’t be the first time…

IMG_6514.jpeg

Jeff and Mary Lynn keep asking my wife and I to join them for dinner when we pass through Kentucky. They ought to beware of the dinner conversation I’d bring. 

On 7/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, VKurtB said:

Yah, Jeff Garrett of Kentucky will just happen to be in Las Vegas. /eye roll

Good, I hate to see Rick pay $18 million for a coin only worth $2,400. (thumbsu

I saw the 1927-D episode where someone just added the "D" to a regular 1927 from Philly. :o

Spoiler Alert:  The owner of the coin did NOT get the $500,000 he was looking for. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I am happy to see everybody's having a good time with this.

A Newby dismissively flicked me off as "shallow."  My best friend implied I have half a brain. (Bad enuf I hang out with a bird-brain -- and others have suggested my wife, basically incapacitated, has no brain at all.) Nice. The only head-scratcher is why GF1969 continues to pretend the episode is real. My only biggest fear is being called on the carpet to honor my commitment to vacate the premises if @The Neophyte Numismatist refuses to cut me some slack.

I'm 72.  Do I need this drama?

Edited by Henri Charriere
Insert closing parenthesis.

Back to the subject at hand. Who will Rick call in to authenticate the 1933 Saint? They haven’t mentioned what episode it will appear, but it will be this season reportedly.

Too bad it wasn’t in a NGC slab. This is a FUN topic! Will the true owner of the 1933 Saint please stand up!

On 7/18/2024 at 4:21 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Did you cut OldHoopster slack when he repeatedly asked you to leave him alone?  The fact that you still drag him after his death is the reason I will show you NONE.  

It's of no matter... because, you never intend to leave this forum.  You like to attention seek, so leaving takes away (what seems to be) your most common vehicle for this activity.  Interestingly, I do think you have some numismatic knowledge in there somewhere.  But, you don't commonly share it... and it's buried in word salad when you do.  I can say you have taught me nothing (which is not to say you owe me an education).

I wish you no ill will at all.  But, I want you to know that you have (nearly single handedly) ruined this forum with your behavior.  It's sad, because despite what you think... that will be your legacy to most here.  Once you are gone, perhaps discourse can continue without your derailments.  Thus, improving these boards overall.

So... do whatever you wish.  I am not signing off from the boards... I am just blocking you.  You have earned it.

Sorry, but that screed is just hatefulness for its own sake.

On 7/18/2024 at 5:43 PM, Zebo said:

Back to the subject at hand. Who will Rick call in to authenticate the 1933 Saint? They haven’t mentioned what episode it will appear, but it will be this season reportedly.

Too bad it wasn’t in a NGC slab. This is a FUN topic! Will the true owner of the 1933 Saint please stand up!

They COULD use the segment to educate the public on a unique coin… WHAT AM I SAYING!?! This is cable television in the USA. It will almost certainly misinform the general public.

I’m sure who ever the expert that is called will provide some accurate information about the coin - as brief as it may be. If the coin raises the curiosity of just a few, it will be a success in my eyes.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:43 PM, Zebo said:

Back to the subject at hand. Who will Rick call in to authenticate the 1933 Saint? They haven’t mentioned what episode it will appear, but it will be this season reportedly. Too bad it wasn’t in a NGC slab. This is a FUN topic! Will the true owner of the 1933 Saint please stand up! 

Shouldn't even NEED anybody to authenticate it.  Only question is if the "coin" is actually gold.

We know it's not the 1933 since EC has it.  And that PCGS label isn't the actual one, either, I am pretty sure.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:49 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Shouldn't even NEED anybody to authenticate it.  Only question is if the "coin" is actually gold.

We know it's not the 1933 since EC has it.  And that PCGS label isn't the actual one, either, I am pretty sure.

It will be very easy to authenticate and that will be the hype surrounding the segment. You just need a well known expert to add color and spice to the segment.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:49 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You’re discounting the most likely scenario - that EC is doing the bringing into Rick’s shop. Appearance fees?