• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2015 N. Carolina Quarter Question
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Pretty radical example of strike doubling, aka machine or mechanical doubling, with probably a bit of die erosion thrown in for good measure. As GS stated above, this has turned out to be very common on the incuse lettering of the various state quarters. It doesn't add any numismatic value to the coin, but it is cool looking.

🐓 :  Hi Dan!

Firstly,  "STAT"?  Me thinks you've been hangin' around hospitals too long.  STAT is an abbreviation for STATin, or "Emergency!" Secondly, I may be a French Rooster, but even I know the correct spelling of the word is separated.  As far as North Carolina goes, all is copacetic: two words, both separate, and spelled correctly. 

Note to @Just Bob :  It was my former Principal Keeper who made the promise you intend to save for posterity. I can speak well enough for myself.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Clarification.

Intersting that the letters almost look like they were seperated instead of a step down type of look.

You are thinking of regular raised lettering where the step is lower and the devise is smaller.on Machine Doubling. These letters are incuse so that when the die bounces, the steps are actually raised and the device is larger, the opposite of raised devises.