• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake?

4 posts in this topic

I'm not a counterfeit expert, but I thought this one is not right. Sold on ebay  and was wondering what other's opinions were. Photos are sellers. Thanks jimbo.

s-l1600 (5).webp

s-l1600 (6).webp

Nothing that I can see in the photos, which aren't very clear or enlargeable, indicates that this 1891-CC Morgan dollar is counterfeit. It appears to be a VAM 4, with the clogged "G" in "God" found on later die states of that variety. See http://www.vamworld.com/wiki/1891-CC_VAM-4. The coin is in Very Fine grade, possibly "cleaned" due to its blotchy appearance, and with apparent whitish surface residue, perhaps from whatever chemical was used to "clean" it. Of course, a professional authentication would require in-hand examination and possibly tests of its weight and other attributes. 

Your Topic is fairly forthcoming, but failed to appeal to the innate biases and prejudices I was not even conscious I had. I sought out the item on eBay myself.  No luck. Not enough info to zero in on. So what was the problem?  Me!  Appearance is not enough...

[Aside: when I drove professionally many years ago, I picked up "THAT GIRL," Marlo Thomas, and took her from one fancy venue to another.  She was, at the peak of her fame and attired impeccably. I was enthralled, until she used the car phone (this was pre-cell) and opened her mouth, and was appalled. If I were to repeat the guttural language she used here, NGC will have quickly determined  that I had overstayed my welcome. Point is, without knowing who I drove, the viewer's interest flags. It's central to the story.

Same with coins. I  need more than appearance. Obviously, I do not collect every coin but that does not mean I cannot draw on enough experience and exposure to coin types to render an opinion.  So how do prejudices affect judgments?  1. Price: does it fall within a reasonable range of FMVs for the grade? 2. Seller: a prominent name, stellar reputation and proven track record of reliability ranks high;  Seller's location. (If there is little or no name recognition and it's being "shipped from Guandong, RED China," irrespective of all other attributes, I think it's same to assume you've lost VKurtB right off the bat);  3. Encapsulation from one of the top two recognized TPGSs vs. Raw. (As you know, I have purchased some pricey gems solely on the strength of the grade rendered by a TPGS; No photo necessary.)  The former president may claim paying no taxes "makes [him] smart," but I cannot crediblly claim likewise on sight-unseen buys.  4. Reviews, if any. They do not have to be 100% across the board; Are they recent? Consistent with a preponderance of generally satisfied buyers?  Are they personal or little more than a litany of short boilerplate blurbs?  5. Is there a return policy and a realistic interval for examination and return? Are returns accepted, but only credits issued for application to future purchases?

There are others, but you get the idea.  I like to render an opinion on the strength of all the available evidence much of it having nothing to do with the coin offered for sale.

If any of this reflects poorly on me, I plead guilty with an explanation. In my favor, the sensors on my raised antennae have stood me in good stead my entire life and I readily admit I am not risk-averse.

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

I also don't see anything "off" that is screaming at me. It seems to just be worn and is approaching a level of heavy toning. What makes you think it is fake?

Once again, Sandon seems to have nailed it for a specific VAM and that adds to its credence that it is genuine.

As for the cleaning, I don't think it was cleaned. I have a Morgan that is straight graded and also has this "uneven" toning. What I think it stems from is that even while one of these is toning, the high points that sustain wear don't get to build up this level of toning the same as the fields and details that sit deeper off of the surface. I will include a photo of the Morgan I have and you can note that same kind of uneven toning on mine which seems to be mostly on the high points of the design.

IMG_20160724_144203.jpg