• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight of 2015p nickel
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Could someone please explain this nickel? It is like it's missing a layer or on wrong denomination. I don't know. It doesn't look or weigh the same as another 2015p nickel. Thanks for your help. 

1720625428155371231683716288106.jpg

17206255715022322606653812577607.jpg

Welcome to the forum
It is suffering from environmental damage and corrosion which would account for some weight loss.  
Also nickels are not “layered”, they are made of a copper/nickel alloy.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

"Nickels" are composed of a homogeneous (solid) alloy of 75% copper, 25% nickel.  They have no "layers". This mostly copper alloy may darken through corrosion to reddish, brown, or even blackish colors when the coins are exposed to certain environments, such as being buried in the ground. Dimes and quarters since 1965 and half dollars since 1971 are composed of outer layers of this same alloy bonded to an inner core of pure copper and may develop this same discoloration.

The official weight of a "nickel" is 5 grams with a legal tolerance of plus or minus 0.194 gram, so the coin could have weighed as little as 4.806 grams when struck and have met mint specifications.  The additional, nominal variance of 0.196 gram is explainable by wear, damage, corrosion, inaccuracy of your scale (which appears to have seen better days), or some combination of these factors.

On 7/10/2024 at 12:13 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum
It is suffering from environmental damage and corrosion which would account for some weight loss.  
Also nickels are not “layered”, they are made of a copper/nickel alloy.

Danny Downer here with a suggested correction to the diagnosis:  it is no longer "suffering."  The cause of death was exposure; it is entitled to a decent burial.

The scale this nickel sits on is in TERRIBLE shape. I simply cannot trust the weight it is displaying, especially with all the dirt and crud present on the scale tray. I can only think it is also out of calibration and it seems to not be a a scale that I would consider as very accurate to begin with. That said, you need a new scale and not a cheap pocket China made one either, because those even as brand new are largely inaccurate when it comes to weight. I had three of them and all three ended up in the garbage.

Regardless of the scale issue, the nickel seems to have some environmental damage and may be weighing less than the optimal 5 grams the Mint was shooting for as a standard for these nickels. I think even despite the condition the coin is in, it is not that far underweight and probably on a reliable scale you would find it to still be within Mint tolerance.

On 7/10/2024 at 9:03 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Danny Downer here with a suggested correction to the diagnosis:  it is no longer "suffering."  The cause of death was exposure; it is entitled to a decent burial.

It appears to have already had one.

On 7/11/2024 at 11:19 AM, VKurtB said:

It appears to have already had one.

We have a lot of Zombie coins here. :S

On 7/12/2024 at 11:52 AM, J P M said:

We have a lot of Zombie coins here. :S

Yeah, zombies. It’s like Hurricane Beryl. They said the death toll was expected to rise. Discounting zombies, what was it going to do, fall?

I have seen parking lot coins before, but this is the first time that I have seen a parking lot scale.