• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 vdb possibly matte proof
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This, perhaps more than any other issue, can be confusing when trying to identify matte proofs. There are truly exceptional quality business strikes among 1909VDB cents and this appears to be one. There are specific die markers for the matte proofs. A good friend of mine, Carl Waltz of Millersville, PA, is, in my opinion, THE “Mac Daddy” of matte proof Lincolns, and I will forward him your pictures. 

Do the matte proofs have the V.D.B on them?  not so sure about that.  I do not believe it is  but i have been known to be wrong. :) 

Matte proofs were issued for both 1909 V.D.B. and 1909 Lincoln cents. Per the "Red Book", there were only 400-600 matte proofs issued of the 1909 V.D.B., and they are considered rare. 

Your coin does not appear to have the wide rims, granular surface texture, extremely strong strike, or color (from original storage in tissue paper) associated with a matte proof, and I highly doubt that it is one.  Let's see what Kurt's friend thinks.

I don't think your cent is a matte proof. It does not have the squared off rims and I think it's "grainy" texture is from an improper cleaning. The color does not look like either a matte proof nor does it look like what would be normal for a cent that is RD. It looks kind of "washed out".

On 7/10/2024 at 9:18 AM, JT2 said:

Do the matte proofs have the V.D.B on them?  not so sure about that.  I do not believe it is  but i have been known to be wrong. :) 

Both types exist - with and without V.D.B. 

On 7/10/2024 at 12:57 PM, Sandon said:

Matte proofs were issued for both 1909 V.D.B. and 1909 Lincoln cents. Per the "Red Book", there were only 400-600 matte proofs issued of the 1909 V.D.B., and they are considered rare. 

Your coin does not appear to have the wide rims, granular surface texture, extremely strong strike, or color (from original storage in tissue paper) associated with a matte proof, and I highly doubt that it is one.  Let's see what Kurt's friend thinks.

Haven’t heard back from Carl yet, but I agree with Sandon’s analysis. I do know that matte proofs are nearly NEVER RD, due to the tissue paper toning. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/10/2024 at 9:28 PM, powermad5000 said:

I don't think your cent is a matte proof. It does not have the squared off rims and I think it's "grainy" texture is from an improper cleaning. The color does not look like either a matte proof nor does it look like what would be normal for a cent that is RD. It looks kind of "washed out".

It is not a matte proof, no question of that.   However, the color and surfaces are perfectly normal for a 1909 VDB, what you are perceiving as washed out looks to be the photo/white balance itself.

Not a proof. The rims are not squared off. It’s a really nice circulation strike. Actually, the rims aren’t even as nice as SOME circulation strikes. The “O” in ONE is impressively well struck, no softness, which is normal.

Edited by VKurtB