• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kennedy Half Dollars
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I got a bunch of 1965 - 1969 Half Dollars. Looking at variety vista for any varieties but my god so many of them Are the varieties in the red book the only real ones to look for on coins? If you go by what variety vista says every coin is a variety. OK I guess there might be a little doubling on the T but the am? Now I'm starting to see what they are talking about on all those coins for sale on ebay. But that can't make them worth more money however? Am I right? 

1965PDDO007a T.jpg

1965PDDR005b AM.jpg

If you stick with NGC Variety Plus, I think you will considerably cut down on the amount you need to look at and just focus on major attributable varieties.

While Variety Vista lists varieties not recognized by the major TPG's, I think those lesser varieties wouldn't add the premium necessary to make the time spent worth it.

You could use your own approach if you want to tag each coin as that is your time to spend how you wish.

Not all varieties, even those attributable, are going to add premium let alone significant premium (such as would be the case with the 1955 DDO LWC say).

The "T" in the top picture appears to be showing true hub doubling. What year is that coin?

The Kennedy series has a ton of varieties, many have little to no premium while some command a decent premium.   The photo you posted is a true doubled die, but without any further info it is not possible to advise on value, rarity, or demand.

On 7/8/2024 at 11:40 PM, Halbrook Family said:

If you go by what variety vista says every coin is a variety

Variety Vista lists every coin but not all are. The ones that are varieties are highlighted in a different color.