• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Selling on eBay
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can you guys or gals offer any thoughts/tips on listing coins for sale on eBay? Like where would I start a coin auction price at? How would I find that information? None of the coins are obviously graded. I just began in the hobby and have located a few error pennies that I wanted to list but really have no idea where to start the bids.

I'm wide open for any and all help on this.

Thanks!!!

Edited by KennyV57

Appreciate the honesty, JPM.

Here are a few pics...

1975 clipped rim..
1948 die crack..
1941 die crack..
1999 die crack..

1975.jpg

1975-b.jpg

1948-a.jpg

1948-b.jpg

1941-a.jpg

1941-b.jpg

1999 DDR Crack.jpg

If you "just began in the hobby" yourself, would it really be fair to the public for you to represent coins that you "located" as mint errors and offer them for sale? Mint errors are an advanced topic in numismatics and require knowledge to identify and evaluate correctly. Most of the coins that newer collectors post on these forums claiming to be valuable "mint errors" are either damaged coins or coins with minor errors or anomalies of little value. Coins of any real value almost never turn up in circulation or in accumulations of common coins.

The three pieces that you just posted are in the latter category. The 1948 cent with a planchet lamination (not a die crack), about which you previously posted a topic, has a generic "Red Book" value of $3, as does the 1941 cent with a similar lamination. The 1975 cent may have a genuine planchet clip, but if so its generic "Red Book" value is also $3. None of these circulated pieces is sufficiently eye-catching to warrant a higher valuation. The last photo, which I assume is of the 1999 cent, does show a die crack, but such cracks are extremely common and generally carry no premium at all. None of these pieces is worth a sufficient price to be worth the cost of shipping. It is possible that some unknowledgeable person might bid more than these values, but do you really want to profit from someone else's mistakes?

I recommend that you become competent as a collector before you consider becoming a coin dealer. What books and other resources and activities are you using to educate yourself about coins?

Find quality coins. People always collect the best coin without any flaws. Few collect what I would say are damaged coins. Go coin hunting and look for the best quality coins. Find some W quarters. They sell for $5 to $10 each maybe more if you get a real clean one. Then you are not trying to deceive a poor sucker. You could nickel hunt and there is silver quarters out in the wild. Finding very clean 1982 or 1983 coins as well. If you insist on becoming a seller at least try and find some good clean coins. Don't clean them though. 

Being you are lacking considerable knowledge as far as self grading and FMV pricing, plunging into the error world is deepening the hole you are starting out in.

I am suspect of the clip on the 1975. I do not see the Blakesley Effect and I do see what I believe to be metal piled on the obverse next to the clip that would not be present on a genuine clip. Die cracks are not an error. While you may have some lamination errors on some of the LWC's, I am not sure completely of that as I cannot see the rest of both sides of the coin. The 99 does not look like a die crack to me as it does not continue fully across the serifs, so I think that is actually an incuse scratch.

I think you need to become much better at self grading before venturing into the world of sales. What resources do you currently have?

I recommend that you at a minimum obtain two books. One, the Red Book of United States Coins, 2025. The second book titled ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition. These two books are just a start but it is important to learn the basics first. Errors are a whole different world and a specialized niche in the hobby with a completely new set of rules and things to learn outside of the norm so I would stay away from errors completely until you are on solid footing with the basics, self grading, and advanced knowledge of variety attribution.