• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need guidance on submitting a US Mint multi coin set for grading
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am in the processing of submitting a 2014/2016 US Mint Annual Uncirculated Dollar Coin Set to NGC for grading (in OGP). The 2014 set has the Silver Eagle plus 5 additional dollar coins and the 2016 set has the Silver Eagle plus 4 additional dollar coins. I only need the Silver Eagle(s) graded from both sets but does NGC require I get all of the coins graded? What happens if I remove the coins that I don't need to be graded and only submit the Silver Eagle? I will get all of them graded if need be but just wanted to ask the question.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Vertrauenskrieg
Follow on question

Welcome to the forum, why do you need them graded?   That is a valid question and the answer could help with understanding what you need and how best to proceed.   However, if you only want the ASE graded there is no reason you cannot send only the ASE in for grading.   But if you want the ASE label to have some special wording such as first day of issue, or dollar coin set or something along those lines then the answer to my question of why you want them graded becomes relevant as NGC may need the whole set intact to be able to provide that type of special label.

Another important question is what grade do you want/need?   If you only want an MS70 graded coin (perhaps for a registry set) then you would be better off taking @J P Ms advice and buying those coins already graded rather than spending the money grading your coins and taking the risk of a lower grade.

On 7/8/2024 at 12:57 PM, J P M said:

I would leave the sets alone. If you want to buy some graded eagles just go to a place like Heritage or Great Collections auctions or eBay. It will save you a lot of money.

Thanks for the advice. The 2014 Burnish Silver Eagle Annual Dollar Set is $1795 on eBay (Cheapest) in MS70 and the 2016 is $999. Those prices are why I opted to try and submit raw coins for grading and seeing what happens with grading plus the experience. Even those graded 69 are $200 plus.

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

You could remove the individual coins that you want to submit to NGC and submit them in 2.5-inch mylar flips and otherwise in accordance with NGC's instructions. See How to Package Coins for Submission | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Any or all of these coins could be submitted under the $19 per coin (grading fee only) "Modern" tier. If this is your first submission, make sure that you study and follow the instructions in all of the topics under the "Submit" tab on the NGC home page. If you are thinking of submitting them as a group because you think that the holders will indicate that each of the coins came from this particular set, I don't think that this is the case and recommend that you ask NGC Customer Service about this (855-472-3310 or service@ngccoin.com) before proceeding.

I also don't understand why you would want to remove these coins from their attractive and protective government packaging and submit them to a third-party grading service, which will almost certainly grade them either "69" or "70", which grades are virtually indistinguishable from each other. This packaging provides the coins with their historical context. I expect that future generations of collectors will deeply regret that so many of these coins are no longer in their original packaging and that they may command a premium in the original packaging, as GSA issued silver dollars already do.

Edited by Sandon

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 1:11 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, why do you need them graded?   That is a valid question and the answer could help with understanding what you need and how best to proceed.   However, if you only want the ASE graded there is no reason you cannot send only the ASE in for grading.   But if you want the ASE label to have some special wording such as first day of issue, or dollar coin set or something along those lines then the answer to my question of why you want them graded becomes relevant as NGC may need the whole set intact to be able to provide that type of special label.

Another important question is what grade do you want/need?   If you only want an MS70 graded coin (perhaps for a registry set) then you would be better off taking @J P Ms advice and buying those coins already graded rather than spending the money grading your coins and taking the risk of a lower grade.

I do need the special wording/label "Annual Dollar Set" and from what you are stating I would need to submit all to get the "Annual Dollar Set" label? Some other background on my collection: I am about a dozen coins (out of 218) away from completing my Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, Specimen, & Proof (Including Varieties & Special Pedigrees) set. These two particular coins aren't worth a lot of points but are rather expensive 1K each for 70 and 200 plus for 69. I thought I would send in raw coins in OGP and see what happens with the grading.  

Edited by Vertrauenskrieg
typo

I can see where this would be a thrifty way to finish up the set. I hear horror stories of the ASE registry from others that just when you think you are done, they add coins to the set.:roflmao:

On 7/8/2024 at 11:43 AM, Vertrauenskrieg said:

I do need the special wording/label "Annual Dollar Set" and from what you are stating I would need to submit all to get the "Annual Dollar Set" label? Some other background on my collection: I am about a dozen coins (out of 218) away from completing my Silver Eagles, 1986-Date, Mint State, Specimen, & Proof (Including Varieties & Special Pedigrees) set. These two particular coins aren't worth a lot of points but are rather expensive 1K each for 70 and 200 plus for 69. I thought I would send in raw coins in OGP and see what happens with the grading.  

And that is why I asked, those special labels are needed for some of the modern registry sets.   So my advice is that you reach out directly by email to NGC customer service and inquire what they need from you in the way of the original mint packaging in order for them to include the label you want.   I am not much of a modern collector myself so I cannot say what NGC requires from you the submitter to get the proper label you want.   I recommend email communication in this situation so you have a communication trail in case there are any problems or issues with the labels.

Best of luck with filling out your set, as a lifelong Lincoln cent collector I know how difficult these series with 200+ coins are to complete.

On 7/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

And that is why I asked, those special labels are needed for some of the modern registry sets.   So my advice is that you reach out directly by email to NGC customer service and inquire what they need from you in the way of the original mint packaging in order for them to include the label you want.   I am not much of a modern collector myself so I cannot say what NGC requires from you the submitter to get the proper label you want.   I recommend email communication in this situation so you have a communication trail in case there are any problems or issues with the labels.

Best of luck with filling out your set, as a lifelong Lincoln cent collector I know how difficult these series with 200+ coins are to complete.

Great advice on creating an email record with NGC. Appreciate your assistance.

On 7/8/2024 at 5:04 PM, Vertrauenskrieg said:

Great advice on creating an email record with NGC. Appreciate your assistance.

THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED TONGUE-IN-CHEEK.  VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED...

An email record, and in my case as a Set Registrant, a copy of all Board exchanges my be helpful when, everything you have done for points or status or ego, has driven you as nutty as a fruitcake and a psychiatrist can then study the record in an effort to render a proper diagnosis.  🤣

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

On 7/10/2024 at 5:36 PM, Henri Charriere said:

THE FOLLOWING IS OFFERED TONGUE-IN-CHEEK.  VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED...

An email record, and in my case as a Set Registrant, a copy of all Board exchanges my be helpful when, everything you have done for points or status or ego, has driven you as nutty as a fruitcake and a psychiatrist can then study the record in an effort to render a proper diagnosis.  🤣

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Sounds right.