• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Lincoln Cent Class VI Doubling?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Once in a while I come across a coin that seems a little off. The extra thickness and a bubble like appearance in this particulat coin ( IN GOD WE TRUST) almost wants me to think that this may be a class VI doubling. 

I tried matching the images of my coin to what wexler's shows as an exampl and with another 1961 coin, my coin looks more like wexler's example.

The reverse has a normal flat kind of a font that you normally see.

Thanks again for all feedback.

PXL_20240708_150800696~2.jpg

PXL_20240708_150825782~2.jpg

WIN_20240708_08_06_37_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240708_08_07_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240708_08_07_16_Pro.jpg

Edited by CommunicatorDan
Forgot date and coin type

The coin is worn down to Choice Very Fine condition, and the thickening of the letters may be due to wear.  If the coin were a doubled die, it would be an extremely minor one and, in this condition, wouldn't be of much interest anyway. Of course, if this sort of coin interests you, you are welcome to collect such pieces.

I do not see any match to the 13 listed on the Wexler site, it looks more like strike doubling that after metal loss and flattening due to circulation is mimicking die doubling.

On the Wexlers site, the mentioned Class VI characteristic is extra thickness in IN GOD WE TRUST.

The cent you have posted here I feel is too worn to be able to determine such a variety, nor any of the varieties listed there. There is a point where wear makes it impossible to attribute some varieties and such minor ones as listed on the Wexler site for this date and mint.

Variety Vista lists no 1961 or 1961 D LMC DDO varieties, and NGC VarietyPlus only lists some RPM's for the D mintmark for this year.

I don't think this cent is attributable as is and doubt it of any of the even very minor varieties which are not recognized by the major TPG's.