• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eisenhower coins worth any more than face value?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I recently acquired these and can’t find anything consistent for these, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or insight on value. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Luke Helmkamp

Posted (edited)

Both appear to be lightly circulated so both would only be worth the face value of $1.   Where have you been looking for value references?   If you are looking on places like Ebay it is important to remember that a seller can ask anything, but that doesn't mean the coins are selling for an ask price.   Do you have a Red Book?

image.png.dfa0324efcf17975bf0deb1e05789d57.png

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/7/2024 at 11:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

Both appear to be lightly circulated so both would only be worth the face value of $1.   Where have you been looking for value references?

Just basic eBay and Etsy, nothing serious. It wasn’t super deep searching, I just saw a lot of high and low numbers and I figured I’d ask a larger audience of people.

On 7/7/2024 at 8:32 PM, Luke Helmkamp said:

Just basic eBay and Etsy, nothing serious. It wasn’t super deep searching, I just saw a lot of high and low numbers and I figured I’d ask a larger audience of people.

Ok nothing wrong with ebay if you know what you are looking for and already have some idea of a base value.   Etsy is all over the place and full of scammers so I would not recommend that site.   Coin values are determined by the rarity of the coin and the condition of the coin, a very rare coin in very poor condition can be worth a lot of money and a very common coin in the very highest level of condition can also be worth a lot of money.   But unless you have, a truly rare coin, a condition rarity, or a rare error or variety coin, values for modern coins (post 1965 coins) are usually very little if any over face value.

On 7/7/2024 at 11:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

Ok nothing wrong with ebay if you know what you are looking for and already have some idea of a base value.   Etsy is all over the place and full of scammers so I would not recommend that site.   Coin values are determined by the rarity of the coin and the condition of the coin, a very rare coin in very poor condition can be worth a lot of money and a very common coin in the very highest level of condition can also be worth a lot of money.   But unless you have, a truly rare coin, a condition rarity, or a rare error or variety coin, values for modern coins (post 1965 coins) are usually very little if any over face value.

Perfect, thank you! I’ll make sure to check out that coin book. I have a bunch of random old coins that I’m going through that I’ve collected over time so it’ll sure help me.

On 7/7/2024 at 8:51 PM, Luke Helmkamp said:

Perfect, thank you! I’ll make sure to check out that coin book. I have a bunch of random old coins that I’m going through that I’ve collected over time so it’ll sure help me.

If you are not wanting to purchase the book many local libraries have it to loan out. 

Luke, if you are just curious about what is one worth according to ebay, in my seach I filter to what was the coin sold in the past. 

That usually gives you an average. Number 1 reference for me is the Red Book as stated earlier.

Unfortunately, the Eisenhower dollar was not very popular with either collectors or the general public due to personal taste, too wide open fields, or just didn't like the design. It was also a short lived series only spanning from 1971-1978. That said, there are few that have any type of value and those would either be the silver issues struck at the San Francisco Mint or they need to be in top condition for each year of the series. These dollars are also very difficult to achieve high grades on even in proof issues so it is quite difficult to find any in such condition which is why those at the top are worth premium.

Yours pictured here while not in sad shape do show some signs of being handled which would preclude them from achieving such a grade.

Avoid Etsy altogether as there are many sham sellers and also sellers of counterfeit coins on there.

As for eBay, there are some unscrupulous sellers on there who would try to sell these same dollars in conditions such as yours posted for exorbitant prices hoping to find a clueless sucker to pay obscenely above fair market value upon which such buyer would be extremely disappointed when going to resell only to find they have been duped. Unless you are looking at already certified by either NGC, PCGS, or CACG, which you can look up in the TPG's respective price guides and see if the seller is asking around FMV, throw out all the high numbers you see for this series, especially as a raw coin. Most of these Eisenhower dollars are typically not in good enough condition to even make a break even with submission costs.

If you like these, then by all means keep them and maybe get some plastic clamshell holders or the circular plastic holders for them. I don't advise putting these dollars into cardboard flips as they are too big and heavy and eventually you will end up with a staple scratch from another cardboard flip somewhere on it.