• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2001 P Dime Reverse Doubling?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have this 2001 P dime with what looks like some kind of doubling on the left side of the olive branch.

I would like some thoughts on it.

Thank you

PXL_20240706_234119821~2.jpg

WIN_20240706_16_54_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240706_16_55_38_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240706_16_56_12_Pro.jpg

This shallow, shelflike doubling without any notch or gap between the primary and secondary images is a good of example of strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling, which has no collector value. See the following to learn how to distinguish between strike and other forms of "worthless" doubling and actual doubled die varieties:

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein

I also vote strike doubling as the secondary image you see to the left does not extend all the way down to the end of the bottom of the branch. It is also present to miniscule degree on the left of the torch and on the first U in E PLURIBUS UNUM, but not the other letters of the motto. This tells me more likely it is a condition produced from maintenance of the dies and they were possibly polished a little more in those areas starting the process of die deterioration doubling. It is not actual doubling however.