• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 P Possible Wrong Planchet?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This quarter weighs 5.92 grams and has started to turn black. Brass also turns black. It is just weird as you can see a faint goldfish brown at the top of the obverse. The reeds on the side get crooked and some look half gone. I have no idea guys. 20240705_165057.thumb.jpg.731228519bfde2d70af9db442ef70880.jpg20240705_165118.thumb.jpg.af167288417a8bea93e8602ff4d41d55.jpg20240705_165144.thumb.jpg.0e995da9975a29e90afd87025aa1a8eb.jpg

The edge photos clearly show a clad planchet, thus not a wrong planchet.   The color is just staining/discoloration from some environmental factor(s), may have been buried in the ground or something else

On 7/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, Halbrook Family said:

Is that because of demand or are there so many of them? 

On 7/5/2024 at 5:06 PM, Coinbuf said:

The edge photos clearly show a clad planchet, thus not a wrong planchet.   The color is just staining/discoloration from some environmental factor(s), may have been buried in the ground or something else

What do you think is causing the increased weight?

On 7/5/2024 at 6:47 PM, Coinbuf said:

maybe that black is actually some paint which could easily account for extra weight.

Black paint is a very good possibility, some vending company's do paint coins to track them.

Not a wrong planchet, just a wrong explanation. Almost nothing is as interesting as beginners believe it is. 

Posted (edited)

What type of scale are you using to weigh your coins? Specifically, type (pocket, lab, scientific, etc.) and name of manufacturer.

I hate to be "that guy" but on here, I cannot trust most of the posted weights due to the type of scales being used by OP's. The typical scale I see on here is the cheap pocket scales from China. They weigh to the hundredth decimal place, but even after a PASS on calibration, they tend to be wildly inaccurate. I may be the only one on here who has gone overboard when it comes to the scale I use to weigh coins, but I dropped $150 on a digital lab scale in which I have to turn off any HVAC, turn off any fans, and use the wind shield it came with because it can even detect my own breathing. The sensitivity is absolutely insane, but when I use it properly, there is no doubt that I have a completely accurate weight.

Edited by powermad5000

You guys are the best. I was feeling as though it may be the case. I have been studying Wexlers as you all suggested but when I go to Variety Vista it gets a little confusing. There is a lot to understand in the coin world. I'm so interested in this hobby and look forward to being the guy answering the questions on day. I read an article that had stated something about a possible brass planchett for that coin and brass when super tarnished can turn black but I was figuring the wrong planchett quarters from that era would weigh a little more than that. And to be honest they I believe are junk scales. I need a better one. I thank you guys for your honesty and surely respect your time so I will move on to keep studying. Have a great weekend